How effective do you think “open tank hedges” would be against jumpers???

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So obviously having my plants all around the edges of my tanks, is not going to help with evaporation, but I’ve only had one fish jump out, in the 2 years, since I restarted my tanks, but that was before I had so many plants… currently I have 6 - 8 hang on planters, each with 8 - 10 inch tall plants plants along a 4 foot tank side… I very much doubt a “normal” fish could jump out of one of my tanks…

I’ve been kind of interested in the giant hatchet fish, but have been told they can jump 6 - 8 feet.. well, all my tanks have a ceiling, or another tank over them, when these bushy plants get up to the lights, typically, mounted on the ceiling I just might have to try some giant hatchets…

Guessing floating plants, and perfect conditions, would limit flight on most fish, however, for some fish taking flight, is part of the spawning ritual???

I know in the case of fish such as copella arnoldi, they do jump to spawn, spawning out of the water on leaves or tank sides. Fish are such fascinating creatures

Never ever underestimate the jumping ability of any fish . Having only the most basic of experience with Killifish I was stunned at what these fish are capable of . I once saw a juvenile Fundulopanchax gardneri make a fully aerial ten foot leap from a standing start . He was not startled or spooked either . He just did it .

Overhanging plants reduce jumping, but "reduce" isn't good enough....

Hatchets are always the one that made me the most nervous during maintenance.

You're trying to get a sponge out and you see a little flash in the corner of your eye.

You turn around and there's a fish on the floor at 15 feet or stuck somewhere on a wall.

Get some sticks that are 7f high and attach them to the sides of the aquarium. Wrap some sort of non sticky plastic around them and extend the aquarium hight.

Just kidding, but it would be cool if that actually works! 🤣

I just believe it's a matter of choice...any fish will jump at point and time for whatever reason and having an open top because it looks nicer is a risk you're going to have to put up with.
I've had zebra plecos dead on the floor after coming home....
I've had a hillstream loach smacked so hard by a shoe by my Maria that if there was a video of it. It would probably compete with Will Smith's slap for best slap performance award.
Only to have the "talk"...make sure your fish don't jump out blablabla only for me to go tell the fish in front of her. Don't jump!
makes no sense but hey...whatever makes her happy xD
why not use glass/acrylic covers? if your tank is rimless you could literally glue a hinge to one side of the tank cut 2 pieces of glass/acrylic and put 2 hinges in them so they can fold and a little handle
so even if you had a tank above it, the cover would lift and fold on itself and fold again to the back and you'd still be able to look into the tank

Most reactions

Back