How Long In A Snap Shut Bucket?

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Does the lid itself suffocate? Should I pierce holes? How long can they be in there?

Reason I asked is cos I have a tank full of stock and I have to drain a 55 gallon, move it out, move the new one in and then fill it and heat it. So could be like, 12 hours before its heated.
 
Does the lid itself suffocate? Should I pierce holes? How long can they be in there?

Reason I asked is cos I have a tank full of stock and I have to drain a 55 gallon, move it out, move the new one in and then fill it and heat it. So could be like, 12 hours before its heated.
pour boiling water into the tank to dilute the cold water.

just leave the lid propped up and it will be fine. if anything the CO2 will form carbonic acid in the water, and make the PH drop thus decreasing the toxicity of ammonia
 
Cant you just use warm tap water so it doesnt take so long to warm the water to the right temp?

They should be fine for that long :good:
 
I can put the heater in it whilst I fill up the other tank
I can use half hot half cold, but if I fill from the hose outside obviously it will fill quicker
Decisions decisions
 
3/4 fill from the hose, 1/4 hot water from tap, should give you a head start, of half/half.
 
if you have a boiler with an emersion heater dont use the hot tap as it has been sitting in the tank. absorbing aluminium and copper from the tank, not good for inverts :sad:

but if you have a combi boiler it will be fine
 
if you have a boiler with an emersion heater dont use the hot tap as it has been sitting in the tank. absorbing aluminium and copper from the tank, not good for inverts :sad:

but if you have a combi boiler it will be fine

It's cool we have a combi boiler
 
if you have a boiler with an emersion heater dont use the hot tap as it has been sitting in the tank. absorbing aluminium and copper from the tank, not good for inverts :sad:

Not necessarily true actually. I have a copper emersion tank and copper pipes. Copper test reads zero even if I measure straight from the tank hot water where the tank hasnt been run for two days (we were away from home before anyone asks why no one washed for 2 days :D ).

I always use hot tap water to bring the temp up on the water change (don't like cold hands :lol: ) and 8 x Amano's happily doing their thang for 2 months now would testify no copper problems if they could I think.

Sorry for the hijack :D
 
if you have a boiler with an emersion heater dont use the hot tap as it has been sitting in the tank. absorbing aluminium and copper from the tank, not good for inverts :sad:

Not necessarily true actually. I have a copper emersion tank and copper pipes. Copper test reads zero even if I measure straight from the tank hot water where the tank hasnt been run for two days (we were away from home before anyone asks why no one washed for 2 days :D ).

I always use hot tap water to bring the temp up (don't like cold hands :lol: ) and 8 x Amano's happily doing their thang for 2 months now would testify no copper problems if they could I think.
depends on how old the pipes are. along with the tank too.
 
depends on how old the pipes are. along with the tank too.

Not sure how old it would have to get but the copper emersion tank / pipes here are 15+ years old. I test copper monthly out of the hot tap to be uber safe, always a zero reading. Personally think it's a net myth.
 
depends on how old the pipes are. along with the tank too.

Not sure how old it would have to get but the copper emersion tank / pipes here are 15+ years old. I test copper monthly out of the hot tap to be uber safe, always a zero reading. Personally think it's a net myth.
if there 15 years old the pipes will be lined with copper oxide (the blue stuff) so no copper will leach but if there no more than a few years old there is a chance
 
depends on how old the pipes are. along with the tank too.

Not sure how old it would have to get but the copper emersion tank / pipes here are 15+ years old. I test copper monthly out of the hot tap to be uber safe, always a zero reading. Personally think it's a net myth.
if there 15 years old the pipes will be lined with copper oxide (the blue stuff) so no copper will leach but if there no more than a few years old there is a chance

No truck all 100% copper
 
depends on how old the pipes are. along with the tank too.

Not sure how old it would have to get but the copper emersion tank / pipes here are 15+ years old. I test copper monthly out of the hot tap to be uber safe, always a zero reading. Personally think it's a net myth.
if there 15 years old the pipes will be lined with copper oxide (the blue stuff) so no copper will leach but if there no more than a few years old there is a chance

No truck all 100% copper
the insides of the pipes will be lined with copper oxide. it happens as they age
 
the insides of the pipes will be lined with copper oxide. it happens as they age

Granted the copper will leach at some point, Copper Oxide or not, a few googles I just ran indicate leaching to be prevelant at pH levels of 6.5 and less, IE: acidic (acid dissolves metal). Most processed tap water is consistently in the intended 7 - 7.5 pH bracket so leaching will take much much longer to occur I think. The coppper leaching at pH neutral (pH 7 and higher) (I believe) will be so minimal as to be negligable even after a considerable time to affect inverts.

The main concern I think would be towards the super old lead piping which some do still have (my old house had this when I moved in 9 years ago!)

To round it off, if any invert keeper is in doubt whether their tap water is being leached with copper, by all means by a test kit to check. I think you will be wasting your money as I did. You will then be assured about your copper level and also be as mad as me :fun:

Sorry again for the hijack :blush:
 
Why are they? They have air and heat but they are dying!!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top