How Long Does It Take Dechlorinator To Work?

Just another question, When changing the water, should we boil water and add to cold water to get the same temperature as the tank or can we use the hot water tap???

Just another question, When changing the water, should we boil water and add to cold water to get the same temperature as the tank or can we use the hot water tap???
I just use the cold tap. The amount of water you are changing means you are never going to drop the temp by more than a couple of degrees.

would it be safe enough to use the hot water temperature when trying to get the same temp as the tank when changing the water??

This depends on your hot water heating system, and how well it has been maintained. I use a hot/cold mix for water changes, I do 50%+ on tanks that are on the warm side, 80F-86F. Filling 50% of the water in an 80F tank with 50F water is going to drop the tank temperature to 65F-70F, a disaster for angels. I fill straight from a hose, at 5gpm, so a 20 gallon tank gets filled back up in 2 minutes, a 29 in 3.

I have a 40 gallon gas fired hot water tank that gets turned over a few times daily, and I drain any sediment from the bottom every 6 months. I've been using a hot/cold mix for years without any problems. I know other systems run off of a boiler that is also used for residential heating, this water gets heated and cools back down many times over the day, especially in colder weather. I imagine this could leat to a buildup of sediment from being run through water lines several times, but once again is dependent on the age & maintenance of the heating system. Another system is the sort with a storage tank above the living space, which often has an open top. Being open all sorts of things could fall into this storage tank, and end up being in your aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back