How Do I Prepare A Zucchini Before Putting It In The Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Should I boil it first?

Freeze it first then thaw?

Cut it in thin slices?

How long should it be placed in the tank?

*Zucchini Clueless*

Seeking help from all Zucchini diet experts! hahaha

Tks in advance!

I boil mine for 5 mins and then put in a bowl of ice water for 5 mins, this makes it sink. You can buy things to weigh them down too, or use a veggie clip.

We slice ours and then put in a bag in the freezer and I just break the slices off when I need to boil them. I put them in saturday night and take them out on monday (if there's anything left by then, usually not).

What are you going to be feeding zucchini to? :)

Ninjouzata said:
I boil mine for 5 mins and then put in a bowl of ice water for 5 mins, this makes it sink. You can buy things to weigh them down too, or use a veggie clip.

We slice ours and then put in a bag in the freezer and I just break the slices off when I need to boil them. I put them in saturday night and take them out on monday (if there's anything left by then, usually not).

What are you going to be feeding zucchini to? :)
Tks for the informed method Nin!

I am thinking of getting a L144 Albino.. :p

i buy frozen zucchini slices or quarter slices and put a teaspon or so of tank water in a small glass high sided plate (about 3-4 inches across) and place it in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, then let it cool and weight it down with a salad fork.   I would leave it in overnight and take it out if not eaten completely.

Fishmanic said:
i buy frozen zucchini slices or quarter slices and put a teaspon or so of tank water in a small glass high sided plate (about 3-4 inches across) and place it in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, then let it cool and weight it down with a salad fork.   I would leave it in overnight and take it out if not eaten completely.
Tks!

Silly question, do you take the 'skin' off the zucchini, or does it break down enough for the fish to eat it?  

Also, are there any particular types of fish zucchini is suitable for?  Could I give zucchini to my mollies/platties????

I dont boil or blanch before use as it destroys some of the vitamins and minerals (the good stuff i want the fish to actually eat)

I slice a piece of the fresh raw zucchini lengthwise, slip a teaspoon through the slice and in the tank it goes.

DeanoL83 said:
Silly question, do you take the 'skin' off the zucchini, or does it break down enough for the fish to eat it?  

Also, are there any particular types of fish zucchini is suitable for?  Could I give zucchini to my mollies/platties????
I don't take the skin off and if the plecs don't eat it the snails usually do. You can give zucchini to your mollies/platies but I'm not sure how much they'll like it :p

Livebearers indeed require veggie matter weekly. They are all pigs too, so they'll pretty much devour it. I've never seen livebearers refuse any food unless they were ill or introduced to a new tank in the last twenty four hours. 

AquaPit, you can also feed broccoli stalks and some fruits to plecos. Mine like broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, and green beans. 

attibones said:
Livebearers indeed require veggie matter weekly. They are all pigs too, so they'll pretty much devour it. I've never seen livebearers refuse any food unless they were ill or introduced to a new tank in the last twenty four hours. 

AquaPit, you can also feed broccoli stalks and some fruits to plecos. Mine like broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, and green beans.
Wow! tks guys!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back