How Do External Filters Work?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
I have a 96l tank. At the moment, I am not allowed to set it up, but I am working on that ;)
Anyway, it's a juwel and has this massive internal filter which takes up loads of space. I was thinking an external one would give me more volume, but not sure how they work.
They sit outside the tank presumably? With what, pipes, that go into the tank? Do they have to be higher than the tank or anything?
Sorry for extremely noob Qs :blush:
 
External filters I find are very simple. You have one pipe that takes the water out of the tank into the filter and the other pipe takes clean water back into the tank. I have mine positioned in cupboards underneath the tanks. I use fluval 405's but do have a Hydro 30 which came with a tank I bought, its a very good little canister filter.

Hope this helps :good:
 
I have an eheim 2075 external filter and find it works wonders.

You have an inlet tube that you position in one corner of the tank, this usually has a plastic grill on the end to prevent fish from being filtered lol.

Water is syphoned out of your tank and into your external filter which will need to be lower than your tank level for the syphon to work. The water is pumped through the various stages of your external cannister filter then the filtered water is pumped back up a second pipe called the outlet pipe which ideally should be positioned in the other corner of your tank. You can fit a spray bar if you wish which fits on the end of your outlet pipe and is a plastic tube which is capped on the end and has several holes along it meaning the water is pumped out in jet streams giving greater surface movement.

Andy
 
I believe all externals need to be kept under the water level, ie in the cabinet.

They offer more room for filter media, a higher flow rate and less clutter in the tank (just an intake and out take nozzle)
 
Thanks for the replies :)
Because of where the tank would have to go, I wouldn't be able to position it lower than the tank.
Are there none that pump the water out rather than siphon?
HOB might be an option, not sure with lid (juwel 96l tank)
Other than that, what are the most compact internal filters?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top