How Could I Make These Tanks Work?

Amberleaf

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 17, 2009
Messages
780
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada (If you want to know my city you'r
Okay. Hi. ^^; Recently, I've been coming to worry that my tanks are *HUGELY* over-stocked, and I want to know what I can do to reduce this until boxing day, when I will get a new 38-gallon tank, and start a fish-in cycle (but it'll be short, because some of the media from my 5- and 10-gallon tanks will be going into it ^^;).

All righty.... So, my current tank stockings are this:

10-gallon
7 platies
5 neon tetras
4 WCMM
1 guppy fry
1 male Betta (Mr. Wimpy Fish xxx)
2 corydoras

6-gallon
1 female Betta
1 pearl danio
1 guppy fry
5 neon tetras

5-gallon (divided)
1 male Betta
1 female Betta

2-gallon
1 female Betta

Please don't tell me, "Oh, you're horribly over-stocked, shame on you; take your fish back to the store," because that's the one thing that I have been told on different places before, and that is the absolute *ONE* thing that I will not do (regarding taking them back to the lfs.... *shudder*).

Do you think if I moved the neon tetras to my tank, and, instead, gave my Mom the four WCMM, and put the cories in the 5-gallon, it would work? :o Idk. Can you work out a stocking that would be (somewhat, at least) sufficient, and that I could maintenance with weekly water changes, until Christmas? ^^; Thanks. :)
 
Hmm, tough one, here is my idea...

2 Gal - Male from divided 5gal

5 Gal - 3 Female Bettas, 3 Platys

6 Gal - 10 neon tetras

10 Gal - 1 pearl danio, 5 platys, 2 guppy fry, 4 WCMM, , 1 male Betta (Mr. Wimpy Fish xxx), 2 corydoras

That's the most balanced I can get I think, but I'm not sure if the females would cause too much trouble being together as they're only in a group of 3.
Just out of interest...how did the tanks come to be this overstocked?

And is buying a large plastic storage tub to upgrade them short term not an option?
 
Hi,

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but seems like your tanks inhabitants you listed do not match what you've got in your signature. Have you moved your fish around a lot lately? Personally, I'd just keep an eye on water readings and keep everyone as is until you can get your larger tank.
 
Yeah, I forgot to update my sig. ^^; Anyways; thanks, you two, and I'll just clean the tanks weekly. With the syphon. Using the new handy siphon starter that I got. *waves in air* well, my mom wanted 4 platies.... Also, I won the two cories.... And, the female has to be on her own because of her aggressiveness.
 
what filtration have you got on ALL of the tanks? any live plants and what percentage of substrate is planted wit hwhich species of plant.how long has each tank been set up? how often do you feed the fish in each tank? are their snails in any of the tanks? can you get water stats for all of the tanks? and i cant rememer if it is you or another member who doesnt like sponge filters (GREAT additional biological filtration on a tank)? do you dnot like them beacause of the bubbling they produce (there are steps to eliminate this noise).
i can help you if you answer these questions (sorry if there is a LOT of info needed, but lemme know).
if you are unsure at the moment, do 50% waterchange on each tank (they are not that big...should take about 30 mins tops for everyone) and cut back to feeding once every OTHER day until you can reply with info. more food in= more waste that you have to deal with or worry about.
cheers!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top