How Can I Set Up A Black Water Tank

seanie112

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
taunton somerset uk
hi there been told that to get my L182 bristlenose to breed i need to use a reverse osmosis RO water unit

is there another wayto set up a tank for thesreverse osmosis RO water unite bristlenose we havent got tat much money we have looked on ebay and found a reverse osmosis RO water unit second hand one for around 40.00pounds plus p+p

but is there another way to have this kind of set up with out using that way


any ideas wld be great so i can get thse fish to breed thx for looking hope this is in the right topic






been giving this info abt breeding L182


SPAWNING L182 STARLIGHT ANCISTRUS

from someone that breeds L182 send this to me
I have put together a few notes about what I picked up whilst trying to spawn the fish:-

• I tried water changes with 50% tap water and 50% RO water but I am not really convinced this was a positive factor as at the time of the spawn they were in tap water which had been filtered through an HMA filter.Water parameters were PH 7.0 Temp 76-78 deg and water was medium soft.
• I went through the phase of frequent water changes but again at the time of the spawn the water had not been changed for approx a week.
• I think a big factor was the provision of a good spawning site. I provided a slate cave of 3cm x 2.5cm x 15cm internal dimensions. The male just to say fit into this. An important factor I think is the fact that I covered this cave with bogwood which I am convinced made the male feel more secure.
• The fish were also conditioned well with a varied diet prior to spawning.
• I think the time of year was important too as they spawned in December which would be the correct time of year for them to spawn in the wild.
• Another factor which may have had an effect was the fact that shortly before the spawn I lost one of the females which just left the one pair this may have has a positive effect but not really sure.
• I would suggest as a starting point, feed them a good mixed diet and plenty of it to condition the female. Provide a good spawning site. Carry out 25% water changes every other day for about a fortnight with good water ie filtered water.I would then leave them alone and revert to a 25% water change twice weekly and see how they go
 
my 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis RO Water Filter + Booster Pump + TDS built in

just turned up only thing is now finding someone who knows how to fit it lol

101_0993.jpg


101_0994.jpg


101_0995.jpg


101_0996.jpg


101_0997.jpg



101_0998.jpg
 
update

today we have change the tank corner 252ltr tank from gravel to sand and added caves and bogwood and some plants
plus i taken nearly all the water part from abt 10% i am at the moment putting in ro water to full it up then i will be adding the fish bk in as they are at the moment in a holding tank 3ft then on friday will be putting the L182 bristlenose bk in just found a female traped found her dead dont know how ong she been there for
so now i have 3x male and 8x females going bk in tank i am hoping to put a trio in there own tank just after xmas
will add a photo of the tank was before the change and a photo after when i can in the next couple days
 
so far i have added 80 ltrs of ro water to the tank and the ph is still on 7.5 to 8.0
so at the moment ph has not droped i have half a tank left to full of ro water
 
just done another test after i have added 25ltrs of ro water and the ph is now between 6.0 and 6.5
i have another 80ltrs or so to be added to the tank
 
last nites test
so far i have added 80 ltrs of ro water to the tank and the ph is still on 7.5 to 8.0
so at the moment ph has not droped i have half a tank left to full of ro water


thursday test ie 2day
just done another test after i have added 25ltrs of ro water and the ph is now between 6.0 and 6.5
i have another 80ltrs or so to be added to the tank
 
photo of wot it was like little old photo just had more plants in it

101_0341.jpg



this photo is wot its like now half full of ro water 90% and 10% old water

newsetupwithrowaterandsand.jpg
 
You can get a black water additive ......

Think you could also use peat in the filter. Someone correct me if im wrong.
 
tested ph


at the moment test done this morning
the ph in corner tank is at 6.5 to 7.0 and the holding tank where the L182 bns are the ph is at 7.0 to 7.5
have added to the tank a anglefish
 
another update today tank all fulled up with water and ro water i think it worked out around 70%ro water and 30% tank water

heres couple pics of the tank theres two angles in there

let us know wot you think of the pics

101_1111.jpg


101_1110.jpg



101_1106.jpg



newsetupwithrowaterandsand.jpg
 
It looks like you have a nice setup there. I wonder why so many caves but having never bred plecs I can't say it is wrong.
 
6caves for 12 bristlenose L182 sorry was wrong now only 11 3xmale and 8x females going bk in there we did have more caves in there abt 12 caves its getting there be doing my 77x17x18 next wk so that will look little defi as mbuna's are going in there
 

Most reactions

Back
Top