How can I fight ich with no meds?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

To answer this question, what type of plants do you have? Many of the basic aquatic plants are actually tolerant of salt, even in brackish applications. But not all!
I donā€™t think Iā€™ll use salt just as a precaution

Ok would one big one today and one big one on maybe Sunday?

I don't know the tank size nor the fish species/numbers, but I would tend to do the W/C say today (Wednesday), then the next on the following Tuesday/Wednesday. The next after that, same, or if your normal W/C day is a different day of the week, move toward that.

As i said earlier, this would likely be less stress, but if you do daily changes just siphoning out water and replacing it is not much of an upheaval. Again, without knowing the stocking...

I don't know the tank size nor the fish species/numbers, but I would tend to do the W/C say today (Wednesday), then the next on the following Tuesday/Wednesday. The next after that, same, or if your normal W/C day is a different day of the week, move toward that.
So one today, next Wednesday and hopefully the final one on the Sunday after the Wednesday next week?

So one today, next Wednesday and hopefully the final one on the Sunday after the Wednesday next week?

I do my W/C normally on Sundays, so if this were me, a massive 75% W/C today, the next on Tuesday next week, then the following Sunday.

I do my W/C normally on Sundays, so if this were me, a massive 75% W/C today, the next on Tuesday next week, then the following Sunday.
Ok I also do wc on sundays. Iā€™ll use that schedule. Thanks for the help. Is it a 75% each time?

Ok I also do wc on sundays. Iā€™ll use that schedule. Thanks for the help. Is it a 75% each time?

Yes. Mind you, I do 65-75% every week regardless.

I do 65%-75% weekly. As @Byron said, I donā€™t like doing daily water changes, because it stresses my fish out.

Last edited:
The following link has information about whitespot and how to treat it with and without chemicals. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth a read.

As others have said, raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks will normally do the job.

You should do a huge water change and gravel clean the substrate before raising the temperature. This reduces the number of parasites in the tank and buys the fish some time so the heat can do its job.

You increase the aeration/ surface turbulence when using chemicals or raising the temperature to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

--------------
If you want to add salt, you can add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. This dose rate will not harm plants, fish, shrimp, snails or beneficial filter bacteria.

Leave the salt in the tank for 2 weeks and then do small water changes to dilute it out.

If you do a water change while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salt levels stay the same.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back