How best to add guppies with mollies

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all

So, I have 4 adult mollies and 6 surviving fry in a 55g tank and am planning next steps for what we add.

I have a couple of questions to ask those with way more knowledge than me...

1) I thought we had bought 1 male and 3 female but we actually have 2 of each. They are coping OK but obviously the boys a pain. I've got some remaining fry and as so few planning to let them grow and see how they do (they are 12 days old - yes I know more fry inevitable but a first brood a but different)

I want to add fish very slowly as I'm new and don't want to mess up my parameters so thinking the next step is 2 more fish. I have an established 17g to use for quarantine

Should my next step be to add adult females and take pressure off my girls? I think probably yes.

My daughter has seen guppies and lives them. Happy to add in principle but don't want to add to my fry issues! If I add only male guppies will they bother the mollies too? Will only males be a problem for them?

Basically thinking 2 or 3 new girls, get now and quarantine for 2 weeks and if filter in big tank ok add.

Then 4 male guppies same process.

Then stopping and see how I cope in terms of fry etc.

Would that work?

I think with these fish you won't cope with the fry. They just breed and breed and it becomes a headache what to do with them all. Some get eaten, especially in communities, but each female can have 30 fry a month. The fry can be sexually mature by 3 months so they then add to the population.

You're probably aware that if you got female guppies they could be pregnant and storing sperm packets that can be used to fertilize for up to a year. So male guppies are the best option. One or two people report problems in male groups with either one or two bullying or one fish being picked on. The best option is to move one or two of the problem fish to get a harmonious group. Lots of male groups show no physical bullying. Some chasing and displaying is normal to establish hierarchy and not aggression IMO.

It has been reported that male guppies will harass female ( or even male lol) livebearers of other species. Is there an option of keeping the female mollies in the quarantine tank permanently?

I agree. Adding more livebearers is going to be a headache. Your tank will soon be over run with fry already. I wouldn’t add anything else. I use to keep to males in a 29 gallon community. They did chase each other some but also swam together. I’d choose a couple of the males that you like and take the rest back. Then you can get something else that you like and that is compatible with your mollies.

Guppies are non negotiable because my daughter really loves them. Female mollies separate may be the answer then, which is doable. Was going to put tetras in the small tanke eventually but could add something to the big tank in the end and keep the mollies in it instead

Done some more reading and that's the perfect solution! Once quarantined and I'm certain tanks ok, will swap girl mollies for guppies in other tank.

Clearly there will be a bit more fry but with a finite number that is manageable for me, then gonna think about something like tetra or basically ask my LFS to finish big tank. We are not so attached to finishing touches, though she isn't so keen on bottom dwellers

Guppies are non negotiable because my daughter really loves them. Female mollies separate may be the answer then, which is doable. Was going to put tetras in the small tanke eventually but could add something to the big tank in the end and keep the mollies in it instead
Remember, the females can still lkeep stored milt for months and continue to have fry should you keep the females. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back