Hospital Tank - Have I Done Everything Right?

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
5,527
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
Uk, Nottinghamshire
I've just moved my fish from 60l to 125l aquarium. I think it's now going through a mini cycle as the ammonia is at 1ppm.
I'm doing my best, 20% water changes in the main tank.
But one of my bolivian rams starting looking a bit ill today, hanging by the filter and being picked on by the other one.

It wasn't ideal but I decided to set up a hospital tank.
I've had to use all tap water (conditioned of course), so no friendly bacteria. And obviously another shock to the fishes system.
I put a tablespoon of aquarium salt in (it's a 30l tank)
I've put my fluval 2+ filter in it (with new media not mature because my mature media is still really needed in the main tank)
There's an air pump pumping a good amount of air into the tank and I put a couple of plastic plants in making a little cove around the air stone/bar thing.

I moved the fish in a container with 1.5l of my tank water and topped up with hospital tank water over 10-20mins before putting it in.

Basically, have I done everything I can? I'm just leaving it there tonight hoping things pick up. What sort of water changes do I need to do tomorrow?
10-20% or more?

Thanks
 
id say 20% everyday until it has cycled, test for ammonia etc and if neccasary change more water although with only one fish in it shouldnt be any problem
 
If you're only running it as a temporory home for the fish (hospital tank will be put away aftyer use) then i wouldnt worry about cycling the tank as long as you keep the water changes up. It all depends on how long you think your fish will need to stay in there.

Just be sure to siphon any fish poop or uneaten food out so that it doesnt pollute the water, and then change 20% water daily to ensure that the water stays fresh.

Is the hospital tank illuminated? (light?) If it is, then it may be kind to put something like a cave inside it so the fish can sit in the dark if it fancys. A cave also gives it a place to call home.

If the tank is in a high use area of the house, you may do well to put cardboard over the sides/windows. This stops the fish from being panicked by people walking around.
 
The mini cycle is going on in the main tank not the hospital tank. Maybe I didn't make that clear.
I wasn't worrying about cycling the hospital tank as it will only be temporary.
I'm leaving the light off in the hospital tank, and it's in a quiet corner of a relatively unused room.

I did a 15% water change today and will continue to do so until the fish is back to prime health.

Just as a note, fish is still alive and looking better than last night.
Still resting on the bottom more than I'd like, but fins are up and it's swimming most of the time.

Things are looking good :thumbs:
 
Just as a note, fish is still alive and looking better than last night.
Still resting on the bottom more than I'd like, but fins are up and it's swimming most of the time.

Things are looking good :thumbs:


Good to hear. He may rest on the bottom simply due to not needing to be very active - doesnt need to chase any other fish. As long as he looks in good health dont worry if he seems to rest a lot.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top