Horny Guppy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jez2102

Reaction score
since mrs something, my female guppy went to the fish tank in the sky, mr something has been mating with (or at least trying to) some of my female platies. What are the chances aof these matings being successful, or are the species just too far apart? i'm aware that a lonely male guppy will pretty much try and mate anything and i've never seen a "pluppy", so just wondering.

Chances, 0%

Though guppys are constantly horny, and try to have sex with just about everything, includeing tank ornimants, your plattys will not become pregnant as the two fish are completely incaple of hybridizeing. Though if you were looking to do something werid, guppies have been proven to hybridize with mollys, though the fry are quite fragile.

YA MY GUPPYDID THAT UNTILL HE TRIED 2 DO IT WITH DA SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH.......HE GOT EATEN MY ADVICE GET 2 FEMALE GUPPIIES 2 1 MALE AS THE 2 FEMS WILL BE MORE RELAXED TOGHER

Wow that was obnoxious to read. :D

And no, bettas should not ever be kept with bettas, regardless of sexual tendancy, they will be eaten.

Won't work. :( Totally different species. They're not even in the same Genus. It is possible to breed molly x guppy since they are both in the Poecilia genus, but they are, as said before, very fragile.

Male guppies are little hornballs. I've seen them try to mate with fry(!!), plants, decorations, other male guppies... you name, they've tried it. :lol:

AHAHAHHAHAAH trying to mate then getting eaten...

I recall something similar happening with one of my friends hahahahahaha, thats great man.

I once bred a mollie and a guppy.I gave the babies to my teacher. It isnt that fragile, though. I looks like a black and white torpedo. Then it bred with a swordtail, then a platy so now it looks really cool. I will breed somemore fish like that some time. And yes, do you know how many times I have had a mollie breed with a platy. I only breed cichlids now but when I did have them the mollies bred with the platys, the platys bred with the guppies and vis versa. Try it sometime, the fry look awsome, though the fry,mollie,platy babies seem to only live about 10 months due to there genetic disposition.

Heh i dont think so. Guppys nor mollys can breed with swords or platys, meaning the muppys and gollys can not either. If your story holds any truth, its more likely that the fish were impregnated by other guppys, mollys, or a sibling.

Hi,

Iv read a documented encounter, where someone bred guppies and mollies i think, its possible, but people often encounter problems as there will be weak strains and often die young.

My big male guppy always wants sex. Sex sex sex, all he thinks about...typical male lol.

I dont know if it will work for you, but by looking at the other posters comments, look pretty negative chances to me.

My freind has a mollie/swordtail cross, and a mollie /guppy cross and I went over to his house last night to take some pics but It turns out My camera was on, on the way over to his hous so I cant take pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My freind has a mollie/swordtail cross, and a mollie /guppy cross and I went over to his house last night to take some pics but It turns out My camera was on, on the way over to his hous so I cant take pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mollie/swordtail cross impossible, two different genus's and the gonopodium structure is incorrect and crossing is impossible.

mollie /guppy cross is possible but pics are very rare.

May i ask what makes u thing their crosses?

The sword mollie cross has a beggining of a sword and the body is "thicker" and black and white. The guppy cross is fairly small and is 'thicker' and black and white.

YA MY GUPPYDID THAT UNTILL HE TRIED 2 DO IT WITH DA SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH.......HE GOT EATEN MY ADVICE GET 2 FEMALE GUPPIIES 2 1 MALE AS THE 2 FEMS WILL BE MORE RELAXED TOGHER
guppies should NEVER be kept with bettas. The bettas would take them as if they were another male betta (they sure do look like it- colorful, long fins) and they will be killed/eaton for sure :shout:

Most reactions

Back