Honey Gourami listing sideways on plants and at the bottom of tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here is a picture I just took of the same fish, I know horrible quality I got a 5 year old phone lol same Gourami, hes just laying at the bottom of the tank on the gravel, hes moved about 8 inches from where i put him on the moss last night. Hes still alive and will move slightly when other fish get near him but still just laying there on its side.
View attachment 135083
Doesn't look good at all...

Doesn't look good at all...
No shortly after that I went back downstairs and he was gone. I took my water into the local fish store and my water parameters are perfect except for some slight nitrate. I dont know maybe it was just a freak thing. I am going to follow your guys advice with the bacteria, salt and food though. I really appreciate everyone's help.

No shortly after that I went back downstairs and he was gone. I took my water into the local fish store and my water parameters are perfect except for some slight nitrate. I dont know maybe it was just a freak thing. I am going to follow your guys advice with the bacteria, salt and food though. I really appreciate everyone's help.
More than welcome.

Hello :)
First of all, Gouramis have nothing to do with livebearers : soft and acidic water versus basic and (very) hard water.
Gouramis are shy fishes whereas livebearers are very active fishes.
Your Gouramis are 1 male 1 female ?

Hello :)
First of all, Gouramis have nothing to do with livebearers : soft and acidic water versus basic and (very) hard water.
Gouramis are shy fishes whereas livebearers are very active fishes.
Your Gouramis are 1 male 1 female ?
No they should of both been the same sex. I don't know quite how to tell the sex on them without being able to see a "transmission" or lack there of so to speak lol. When I went to go the the fish store and get a net to hang in my tank and put the little fella in so I could try the peas thing he/she was dead. So I went to the store anyways and had them test my water BUT the weird thing is they had just got an order of Dwarf Gourami in and 3 of them were displaying the same behavior as mine was before it died. The store told me they would be dead by tomorrow and that it had something to do with the breed.

Now, while this is the store all my equipment, plants and fish are from, this is not the same store I got the two Honey Gouramis I have from. I got them from a different store down the road, I went there the other day and they had a descent amount of dead fish in their tanks, so I think I am going to try and avoid them from now on. While I was at my normal store I went ahead and picked up a Male Dwarf Gourami to go with the Honey that is still left (which I believe is Male also).

All my mollys should be female, same with corys and same with my platys. I don't have the room to set up another tank to have mated pairs in my main one yet.

Be careful with Dwarf Gourami's there are lots of warnings around about the state of these fish. They have been extensively inbred and now seem to be weak genetically.

@IR_Crayoneater
Same sex ?? Gouramis are TERRITORIAL fishes. So you have a dominant that harrass the dominated, preventing it to eat enough, and forces him to live almost constantly hidden, being stressed at such a level it could kill the dominated.
Keep in mind LFS sellers are very bad dispenser of advice.

Last edited:
@IR_Crayoneater
Same sex ?? Gouramis are TERRITORIAL fishes. So you have a dominant that harrass the dominated, preventing it to eat enough, and forces him to live almost constantly hidden, being stressed at such a level it could kill the dominated.
Keep in mind LFS sellers are very bad dispenser of advice.
They never attacked each other, quite the opposite I saw numerous times where my larger Honey would chase off the mollys from the smaller one so it could eat. They also always swam around together.

Be careful with Dwarf Gourami's there are lots of warnings around about the state of these fish. They have been extensively inbred and now seem to be weak genetically.
Yea ive read that to, I am going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. Its sad because the Gouramis are one of my favorite fish in the tank.

They never attacked each other, quite the opposite I saw numerous times where my larger Honey would chase off the mollys from the smaller one so it could eat. They also always swam around together.
You never saw them attacking each other. It can also be 2 females, one harassing the other, or perhaps 1 male and 1 female being continually harassed by the male.
Reason why it is important to sex them. even if it is very hard.

You never saw them attacking each other. It can also be 2 females, one harassing the other, or perhaps 1 male and 1 female being continually harassed by the male.
Reason why it is important to sex them. even if it is very hard.
Like I said, they didn't attack each other. Thanks.

Bullying doesn't have to be physical, it can be chemical as well.
Fish secrete pheromones and allomones. These are chemical signals which are picked up by fish of the same species (pheromones) and different species (allomones). These signals include aggression signals which stress other fish. We cannot see this type of bullying.

Bullying doesn't have to be physical, it can be chemical as well.
Fish secrete pheromones and allomones. These are chemical signals which are picked up by fish of the same species (pheromones) and different species (allomones). These signals include aggression signals which stress other fish. We cannot see this type of bullying.
Wouldn't it show regardless in the actions of the fish ? That larger Gourami like I said would chase my mollys off whenever that little one did eat. I also noticed as it got worse the larger one was staying close to it and chasing the other fish away from it and it was using its tentacles or arms whatever you want to call them to almost comfort it in a sense lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back