What's new

Historical note

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
I am not sure what to think about this, when I read the part about the mayo floating ashore and the name "El Sinko de Mayo." I raised and eyebrow thinking to myself, "What!" But it made me laugh.

Here's another interesting bit of history.

The Napoleonic Rabbit War.​

After signing the Treaties of Tilsit in 1807, Napoleon naturally wanted to celebrate, and what better way to do that than by organizing a rabbit hunt? He asked his Chief of Staff Alexandre Berthier to set it all up, and according to legend, Berthier went a little overboard in his preparations. Rather than gather up a reasonable number of rabbits for a hunt, like say 30 or 40, he allegedly gathered 3,000. When Napoleon and his hunters were ready, Berthier released the rabbits on the edge of an open grassy field. Rabbits are normally pretty timid creatures, and everybody expected them to flee, but that’s not what ended up happening. The rabbits charged Napoleon and his group, and before long they were swarmed. When it became clear they weren’t letting up, Napoleon retreated. It turned out Berthier had cheated a bit with the rabbits and had picked up tame farm rabbits that had no reason to be afraid of people. As for the rabbits, they almost certainly didn’t mean any harm, but seeing that many rabbits coming at you would definitely be a little startling.

I am not sure what to think about this, when I read the part about the mayo floating ashore and the name "El Sinko de Mayo." I raised and eyebrow thinking to myself, "What!" But it made me laugh.

After signing the Treaties of Tilsit in 1807, Napoleon naturally wanted to celebrate, and what better way to do that than by organizing a rabbit hunt? He asked his Chief of Staff Alexandre Berthier to set it all up, and according to legend, Berthier went a little overboard in his preparations. Rather than gather up a reasonable number of rabbits for a hunt, like say 30 or 40, he allegedly gathered 3,000. When Napoleon and his hunters were ready, Berthier released the rabbits on the edge of an open grassy field. Rabbits are normally pretty timid creatures, and everybody expected them to flee, but that’s not what ended up happening. The rabbits charged Napoleon and his group, and before long they were swarmed. When it became clear they weren’t letting up, Napoleon retreated. It turned out Berthier had cheated a bit with the rabbits and had picked up tame farm rabbits that had no reason to be afraid of people. As for the rabbits, they almost certainly didn’t mean any harm, but seeing that many rabbits coming at you would definitely be a little startling.
Or, just one rabbit, if it's like this one....

[VIDEO]

Wow, I kept waiting for the punch line. Getting killed by rabbits would just be embarrassing.

OK, you guys understand this is a joke, right? I'd feel terrible if you went off and shared this in your history class.

Actually, I'd think that was hilarious, but I try to be a nice guy. :)
:flushem:
51387B6C-15BF-47E9-935A-FC6F7B19E223.png

The Molasses Tsunami​

The Boston Tea Party is usually taught in American History 101, but less famous is the Boston Toffee-Apple Tsunami. On January 15, 1919, a 90-foot wide cast-iron tank carrying 2.5 million gallons of crude molasses for rum exploded, likely due to a sudden rise in temperature the night before, which would have caused the molasses to expand. What resulted was a wall of molasses as high as 15 feet traveling at speeds of 35 mph through the city of Boston. The sticky tsunami destroyed buildings, carried of vehicles, and drowned people and horses. In total, 21 people were killed and 150 people were injured, arriving at the hospital looking, as witnesses described them, like toffee apples. It took weeks for the city to clean up the mess, and people swore they could still smell molasses in the air during hot weather for years afterward.

Drowning in molasses.... the best way to drown, or the worst?

Wow, I kept waiting for the punch line. Getting killed by rabbits would just be embarrassing.
It happens to some of the most venomous and dangerous snakes in Australia.

Going back a few years and there was a farmer in Queensland (north eastern Australia) who kept finding dead taipans (snakes) on his property. The taipans were all missing their head. The farmer didn't know what to think of this and monitored it for a quite a while. One day he was out in the field and saw a commotion in the bushes. He slowly went over and took a look. He saw a group of wild rabbits kicking crap out of a snake. It turns out the rabbits had had enough of the snakes attacking them and their babies, and decided to fight back. The farmer watched as this group of rabbits beat the crap of out of this snake and then chew its head off. The head was carried away by one of the bunnies.

Just for reference, the Taipan is Australia's most dangerous snake and is one of the most dangerous snakes in the world. It bites repeatedly and injects huge amounts of really poisonous venom, and it chases after things to bite them again. These things are seriously dangerous and are found along the east coast of Australia, across the northern half and into the desert regions. If you get bitten by one of these things and don't get immediate first aid and anti-venom, you are usually dead within 15 minutes.

----------------------
Never seen it, but I raise rabbits, and oh man do the females get ANGRY when it is time to breed them.
Male dwarf rabbits are grumpy little turds too. They bite and kick and bite some more, and that is the domesticated pet rabbit. They should all be sterilised, too much testosterone in a small bunny.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back