Higher Temp Corydora Species

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering aside from sterbai and albino cories which species are happier in 26c - 28c temps please.

I know sterbai are ok and albino's as Ive had these before (and miss them) so with a new tank being set up I can once again keep these little critters.

btw Hello Mr Jenclibee if you happen to read this :p

Adolfoi, red strip, gold strip, green stripe, melini, davidsandsi amongst quite a few. Is there any you like firstly?, then we can suggest if they are suitable.

Hi, just wondering aside from sterbai and albino cories which species are happier in 26c - 28c temps please.

I know sterbai are ok and albino's as Ive had these before (and miss them) so with a new tank being set up I can once again keep these little critters.

Im sure he will read it hun, but been banned he may well have trouble replying lol :p

Albinos are my favourite, so I will be getting a nice group of those, mad little things. Adolfoi, I was hoping they would be so that helps alot, thanks :good:

Hey Jagz, say Hi to Mark for me :D

Truck, he was a bad bad boy :lol:

Albinos are my favourite, so I will be getting a nice group of those, mad little things. Adolfoi, I was hoping they would be so that helps alot, thanks :good:

Hey Jagz, say Hi to Mark for me :D

Truck, he was a bad bad boy :lol:

Will do :)

ive found trilleneatus cories do well at those temperatures.

WHAT THE FUDGE? Jenclibee was banned? why?!

Unfortunately mods took offence to his approach to helping people and a particular thread made lol, so his banned till 2035 i think lol :blink: , not a temp ban like others may have gotten ;)

Hi minxfishy :)

At that range, (78.8 F to 82.4 F) there aren't too many corys that do really well. C. sterbai, which come in albino too, are your best bet. While the lower temperature is the high end of the range for many corys, most corys will be stronger and healthier at lower temperatures. If you are thinking about possibly breeding them at some point, stick with the sterbai.

I don't know what other fish you plan to keep in the tank with them, but if you can possibly keep them at 24c (75.2 F.) you will have a much greater selection of corys that will thrive for you.

Unfortunatly Jenclibee did develop a bad attitude toward the end. I was sad to see him go but we don't ban members unless it's necessary. It would be best if we just dropped the discussion at this point since he's not here to defend himself.

Regular albinos are none too pleased at the temps you speak of. Most corys will do as well as them at these high temps but they don't really like it. They are hardy little critters and don't really complain, but as has been mentioned already, there are not many which will thrive in such high temps.

I'm afraid i have to disagree wholeheartedly, ive currently got albinos sitting in a tank at a constant 80 and have always spawned in them temps, i keep most of my cory's at the temps minxfishy is requesting and most if not nearly all have spawned and been very active. I admit the likes of panda's and even peppered for me have preferred the lower end temps a little but ive also kept them at the higher end and as the others, have spawned for me. In fact ive had better spawning results while keeping the temps higher than i ever had keeping them at the 'recommended' temps.

To me a spawning cory is a very happy cory :)

Inchy, thanks for that, they will be kept with satanoperca daemons, who the lowest temp I can have is 26c to keep them happy, Ive no wish to breed the cories, Ive previously kept albinos, sterbai, panda, julli and delphax at a constant 25c, without problems and the albinos constantly spawned! Think I will stick with albino's as they are my favourite and I know they can take the heat.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Good info here from 13 years ago :) I'm setting up my very first tank and was considering some C. Sterbai with some other Amazon species, that I think do better in the 25-28C (78-83F) range, (Rummy Nose, German Blue Ram, Blue Acara and Marbled Hatchet), but it seems that it might not really be compatible with Sterbai..

Good info here from 13 years ago :) I'm setting up my very first tank and was considering some C. Sterbai with some other Amazon species, that I think do better in the 25-28C (78-83F) range, (Rummy Nose, German Blue Ram, Blue Acara and Marbled Hatchet), but it seems that it might not really be compatible with Sterbai..

This thread has a lot of inaccurate and misleading "information." The fact is there are no species of Corydoras that should ever be kept at 80F/27C or any higher on a long-term basis. During specific disease treatments requiring warmer temperatures, or during temporary summer heat waves, are very, very different things, and the warm water is temporary. But absolutely never permanently by deliberation. This comes from "the" authority on Corydoradinae species, Ian Fuller.

Since I'm here, I will provide some info on the mentioned non-Corydoras fish temperature. The blue or common Ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, must have temperatures above 27C/80F, preferably in the 84-86F/29-30C range. There are some other species that can do well with this, and Petitella bleheri and P. georgiae (Rummynose and False Rummynose), Paracheirodon axelrodi and P. simulans (Cardinasl Tetra and Green Neon Tetrsa, but definitely not the common Neon) are some. At 80-82/27-28C the Marble Hatchetfish Carnegiella strigata would be at the uppermost end of its "range" and thus better a bit lower. The same exactly applies to the Blue Acara.

This thread has a lot of inaccurate and misleading "information." The fact is there are no species of Corydoras that should ever be kept at 80F/27C or any higher on a long-term basis. During specific disease treatments requiring warmer temperatures, or during temporary summer heat waves, are very, very different things, and the warm water is temporary. But absolutely never permanently by deliberation. This comes from "the" authority on Corydoradinae species, Ian Fuller.

Since I'm here, I will provide some info on the mentioned non-Corydoras fish temperature. The blue or common Ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, must have temperatures above 27C/80F, preferably in the 84-86F/29-30C range. There are some other species that can do well with this, and Petitella bleheri and P. georgiae (Rummynose and False Rummynose), Paracheirodon axelrodi and P. simulans (Cardinasl Tetra and Green Neon Tetrsa, but definitely not the common Neon) are some. At 80-82/27-28C the Marble Hatchetfish Carnegiella strigata would be at the uppermost end of its "range" and thus better a bit lower. The same exactly applies to the Blue Acara.
Thanks a ton for that information Byron. So I suppose I'd have to look for something else than the blue or the common ram.. a shame because I think they look really cool. Perhaps the Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus Altispinosa) would be a better option. They seem to be at the 68-82F/20-28C, a range that's a lot more forgiven it seems.

Thanks a ton for that information Byron. So I suppose I'd have to look for something else than the blue or the common ram.. a shame because I think they look really cool. Perhaps the Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus Altispinosa) would be a better option. They seem to be at the 68-82F/20-28C, a range that's a lot more forgiven it seems.
Yes, the Bolivian is fine with basic "tropical fish" temperatures in the range 24-27C/76-80F but certainly not lower. Don't know where the 68F/20C came from but that is much too low for this ram. I have found that temperature around 24-25C/75-77F is ideal for the majority of fish we keep, there are a few that must have it warmer, and several cooler, but this is a good median range.

Yes, the Bolivian is fine with basic "tropical fish" temperatures in the range 24-27C/76-80F but certainly not lower. Don't know where the 68F/20C came from but that is much too low for this ram. I have found that temperature around 24-25C/75-77F is ideal for the majority of fish we keep, there are a few that must have it warmer, and several cooler, but this is a good median range.
Sounds good, the lower end of the temp scale was just from a basic initial google search, but I have also planned to have my tank in the temperature region you describe.

Speaking of temperature, it would be pretty cool to have a little add-on to the forum that can automatically insert a converted fahrenheit or celsius temperature into your post so you don't have to look up the equivalent in either one. I've used C my entire life, and isn't used to F temperatures and have to google it every time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back