High PH

Guppygal

Reaction score
I've been letting my new 20gal tank cycle for about 3 weeks (with fresh water and water from my other inhabited tank) and I finally decided to put some guppy fry in there a couple of days ago. Today I did a stick reading and everything is reading in acceptable parameters except for the PH which is about 8.4,.. :unsure:

I know guppies are supposed to have there PH around 6 or 7, do you think my gups will be okay? they seem to be thriving. Does anyone know if a high PH will harm them? There are no nitrites present and the alkalinity is reading where it should be for livebearers... :blink:

any info would be appreciated... :nod:

I think your fish would be ok with a pH of 8.4. The only time the fish would struggle is if you were to alter the pH or if it was too extreme eg. 9.0 or higher. Changing the pH could result in a pH swing which may stress the fish.

HTH :)

What would be the correct procedure in bring down the ph? . IF the PH was around 9.

What would be the correct procedure in bring down the ph? . IF the PH was around 9.

I don't know much about water chemistry so would not mess about too much. I'm trying to bring my ph down a little so have just put some pieces of bogwood in my tank. Over time they will naturally soften and acidify the water. You can also put aquarium peat or peat granuals in your filter to do the same job.

Most reactions

trending

Back