hi...new kid on the block

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

caz27

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi im new to the site and was wondering if anyone could let me know what fish i have got and the best way to care for it .description) it has a see through body and a vibant green on the top and bottom o its body...be greatful for any ideas.

:hi: to the forum. the fish you described sounds like a painted glass fish. The Green Paint as injected by people. these are not natural fish. I would take it back to the store if you can. they are easily prone to disease and usually have a shorter lifspan than they should due to the paint that is injected into them is toxic.

hth

Richard

i don't know wich store it came from it got given to me by the person who sold me the tank.it is alone in the tank...why do they inject it ?

Welcome Caz27 :thumbs:

The process Tanked described is used to artificially inhance the fish appearence and is most definitely frowned upon by fish lovers.

Not your issue so I would read some of the pinned instructions for Newbies on how to maintain a standard aquarium, water changes, lighting, heating and feeding etc.

If you have any specific queries go ahead and re-post and you WILL get help.

Best of luck.

do you have to heat the water on a water change, as i have 2 cold water tanks and i have had no problems with them and this is my first tropical tank

Caz27 if you don't have a spare heater to bring the water up to the right temperature just replace the water in stages - giving the tanks internal heater chance to bring up the temperature.

i have 2 spare heaters......so i get it up to the same temperature as the tank and just replace 30 percent of the water....how often is it every 2 -4 wks ? and also what other fish can i put in with it and how many....i have a 3ft tank with the 1 glass fish in it (very lonley) :(

I perform a 25-30% water change one time per week on all of my tanks. I am lucky to live in florida I guess as the water comes out of my tap @ 78 degrees and that is the same temp I keep my tanks.

Is that ok to change them that often? i change my goldfish tanks every ten days but i thought you had to be more carful with tropical.

Hi Caz27,

The quantity of fish you can put in depends on the volume of your tank. If you post the dimensions we will be able to work out the total length of fish you can safely stock - bear in mind you will need to build up the fish over a period of time so that the filter bacteria can cope with the load. What type of filtration are you using on the tank?

As to what type of fish - that is going to be difficult to answer. The best thing to do is have a look around, maybe get a good tropical fish book, and come up with some ideas as to what you would like. Then if you post it here people will be able to advise on what will and won;t go together.

HTH, Eddie

:hi: As you can see already a multitude of help. Definately sounds like a painted glass fish. The best thing you can do is read up and give it the best quality of life you can. He has already suffered enough and would definately appreciate you giving him a good home. You made the right choice coming to this board with your questions.

As far as WC goes, i usually "wing it" by testing the water with my fingers and compare it to the tank before it goes in. I have never had a problem doing it this way. It may be off 1 or 2 degrees but considering it mixes with 40 gallons wouldn't have much of an effect. If you tank is say a 20 gal long, 5 gal a week is a good WC. That makes it easy, just one 5 gal bucket. Good luck with your new tank!!!!

Cas27,

Have a look at the thread here where Silver and others have put a load of information about dyed and hybrid fish which you might find useful. I was very lucky not to have bought soem dyed fish without knowing what was done to them - fortunately for me I couldn't get them at the time as my bio-load was high and I found out all about them shortly aftwerwards.

Cheers, Eddie

when i first saw him i thought he was unusual cause i go to my aquatic centre alot and have never seen one ...i e-mailed the person who gave it to me and he said it was a ghost fish.I looked that up and still coiuld not find it ....and thanks to you guys i can take better care of it (now i know what it is), it just breaks my heart how people could do anything like that....i've looked at various websites about it today and learnt that half die due to the injections

Welcome to the forum.

good luck on the tanks

and ask any more questoins if you need to. they already pretty much answerd your first question.

good luck

my new sig
trop

Most reactions

Back