Hey There!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkydog

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hey there! I am obviously new here. I joined because I have always been interested in fish and have finally begun to take having an aquarium seriously! I grew up with us always having a male betta fish in a 2 gallon hectagon tank with an air stone. Obviously that's not ideal, but our fish did all last for years! But it was just the basics (and only recently have I really figured that out) where we just add tetra betasafe to tap water, feed betta flakes every day, and use a gravel vacuum to clean the tank whenever it 'started to get dirty'.

I am 21 years old, and have been reading up more and more on fish tanks and fish! I have learned a lot but I thought joining a forum would be a more direct way of getting answers to some of my questions.
I am going to start out with freshwater aquariums and hopefully over the years I will work my way up to salt water. I have recently gotten a 10 gallon aquarium that I am going to soon be moving my current betta(who just recovered from mild fin rot, so I won my first battle against a fish disease, too!) into and need some advice as a novice fish owner. And besides getting some questions answered that I have right now, I am hoping to learn more as I go!

Hey!  Welcome to the site!  I recommend posting a lot of question and comments so you can get into the chat so you can get instant feed back.  good luck with everything.  this site is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Kevin

Woohoo! That's really exciting to hear! :) And thank you!!

welcomeani.gif
to TFF

This is a good site for all sorts of advice, you'll be glad to hear there are a lot of Betta fans here who will give good advice.

This forum loves to see pics of your Betta and tank set up, especially these Betta fans will demand pics! 
smile.png

HI, Welcome! I am new too and was made to feel
welcomeani.gif
 very welcome...oh and I started with one little Betta fish too
winner.gif

Welcome!

Pics please of your betta set up :D

Oh my god I love you guys! You're all the sweetest! And it's hilarious that Ch4rlie had said people would be asking for pictures, and no more than two posts later someone asked! Ha!!

Anyways here are some pictures!

This is my betta, although it's very strange because he appears to only be blue but he actually has a very vibrant teal in his fins. Hopefully I can figure out how to take better pictures of his wonderful coloring, but this is it for the time being!
2e2474n.jpg

Here is his current tank, which is either a 2 gallon or 2.5(I actually didn't buy the tank, so that's just my guess), with his current tank mate -not pictured- a mystery snail whom he seems to adore. He gets all up close to the snails face and watches him for a good 10-15 minutes, it's really cute(I'll be sure to get a picture of it the next time I see it)! Right now they are seperated because he's being treated for a very very mild fin rot that I caught very early. The fin rot itself is what got me started on the fact that there is so much more to owning fish than what most people think! Including myself!
fy0hhe.jpg

346qnpe.jpg

And this is the 10gallon tank he is going to be moved to in a few weeks once I start the actual cycling of the tank - which I just learned more about thanks to this wonderful website! Also, the quarantine .75 tank on the left is where the snail is currently. And I have been changing his water daily too and boy do mystery snails stink!
sick.gif
I never noticed it when he was in with the betta. Yuck. Oh, and in the betta's tank, you can see the betta is the little blue thing above the Easter Island head - if anyone thinks that tank is not 2 gal or 2.5 let me know if I'm wrong!!
2co1mxy.jpg

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here :) As has been said this place is very helpful.
Your boy is quite handsome, can't wait to see him in his new home eventually!
What color mystery snail do you have?

Well, my snail was blue when he was just a little thing, but now he's pretty grey with just a tiny hint of blue. Although I think he still constitutes as a 'blue' mystery snail? I dunno, but he's growing up fast either way! I love watching him! And thank you for both for the lovely comments about my betta! :)

He is a stunning boy!!

Does he have a name?

Be careful with the green spikey plastic? Plant - looks like a culprit for some potential tail damage there.

Are you going to get him some live plants in his new set up? If so I can recommend Anubias :) they love resting on the leaves :D

Looking forward to your tank progressing :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back