hey, I'm new here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dhjaksu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just wanted to introduce myself. I currently have 4 tanks housing fish and 6 yet to be set up (need to get more heaters and and airline tubing).
I have a 54 litre tank quarantining some platys I was randomly given that I don't plan on keeping. that tank is meant to be for my female betta but she is currently temporarily in my main community tank (temporary beccause there are 6 large angels in there).
then I have a 40 litre tank with a colony of yellow cherry shrimp, 6 pygmy corys, and a male betta.
then there's a 75 litre tank with a breeding pair of albino kribensis.
and My main tank is 210 litres and heavily planted with 6 large angelfish (1 male and 5 females), 8 kuhli loahes, 6 adult kribensis and some babies from the last lot the albino pair produced, 4 adult mystery snails and many babies, 18 very large neon tetras, around 20 guppies, 5 adult bristlenoses, 6 pygmy corys, 22 larger corys (mix of albino/bronze, peppered, and sterbai), the female betta temporarily, and 1 otocinclus however I plan on getting more of them when I can afford them.
And I know thats a lot of fish for a 210 litre tank. all the fish are happy though. the angelfish spawn weekly. the corys spawn daily. the bristleenoses have a large spawn due to hatch on thursday (albino male and common long fin female).

I also want to breed the neon tetras but I need to wait for it to rain so I can collect that water. My tap water has a ph of 8.4 and my tank sit around 8.0.

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you here. You have a very nice selection of fish!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What is the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) of your water supply?

This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If you have a low GH and KH, you can drop the pH of your tap water with peat moss or sodium biphosphate.

Hi & welcome to TFF... :hi:
From your info, you're already hooked on the MTS...

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What is the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) of your water supply?

This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If you have a low GH and KH, you can drop the pH of your tap water with peat moss or sodium biphosphate.
the petstock and petbarn where I usually get my water tested dont test for kh or gh. next time I go to the actual aquarium shop I'll ask them if they are able to test it. I have to go there sometime in the next week anyway to get more hikari first bites and frozen baby brine shrimp because my albino kribensis eggs hatched over night and I ran out of baby brine shrimp and one of my birds found the first bites and emptied them into the shower a couple weeks ago.

Welcome, interesting tanks. Can you post some photos please?
when I get home this afternoon I will take some more photos and email them to my laptop so I can upload them. I do have this photo of the main tank though. I think It's from before I got the neon tetras and the 6th angelfish.
the other tanks aren't as heavily planted because they either have no lighting or really cheap lighting.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7994.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7994.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 22
Beautiful tank! You should enter it into a TOTM contest on here

yeah maybe I'll join the next one. It is a nice tank. took a lot of time to get it how it is.
Im sure it did... Do you mind telling me how deep your sand/substrate is?

Im sure it did... Do you mind telling me how deep your sand/substrate is?
probably 3-4cm in the deeper areas, the very front is probably 2cm. its deeper everywhere else because the amazon swords have big roots and the blue stricta hates to stay planted until it grows roots.
there are also some of those water garden root tabs from Bunnings spread throughout the substrate.

probably 3-4cm in the deeper areas, the very front is probably 2cm. its deeper everywhere else because the amazon swords have big roots and the blue stricta hates to stay planted until it grows roots.
there are also some of those water garden root tabs from Bunnings spread throughout the substrate.
Thank you for sharing! Appreciate it!

when I get home this afternoon I will take some more photos and email them to my laptop so I can upload them. I do have this photo of the main tank though. I think It's from before I got the neon tetras and the 6th angelfish.
the other tanks aren't as heavily planted because they either have no lighting or really cheap lighting.
Love this tank, I hope you keep coming back and contributing to this forum.

Love this tank, I hope you keep coming back and contributing to this forum.
Here are the other tanks. The most boring looking one is the quarantine tank and it’s boring so it’s easy to see the fish and keep an eye out for any illness as well as to be able to treat the tank easily and to be able to clean out the tank fully after the fish are quarantined.

The male betta tank also isn’t super interesting because I’m always pulling it apart to catch out shrimp for whatever reason (most recently so I could put them in with bristlenose eggs to prevent fungus, those hatched an hour ago).

And the other tank is the albino Kribensis tank. Also not too interesting because it doesn’t have a light and I want to be able to see the babies and to make feeding the babies easier. The latest lot of babies hatched last night.

Attachments

• 79CE477C-5F03-4ADB-B178-86808EB6EB03.jpeg
    79CE477C-5F03-4ADB-B178-86808EB6EB03.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5A607912-ABF3-431A-93C4-7FA14E370D41.jpeg
    5A607912-ABF3-431A-93C4-7FA14E370D41.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 94E082FB-FE65-4F5D-BFC8-EFF1EC024B26.jpeg
    94E082FB-FE65-4F5D-BFC8-EFF1EC024B26.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 23
Here are the other tanks. The most boring looking one is the quarantine tank and it’s boring so it’s easy to see the fish and keep an eye out for any illness as well as to be able to treat the tank easily and to be able to clean out the tank fully after the fish are quarantined.

The male betta tank also isn’t super interesting because I’m always pulling it apart to catch out shrimp for whatever reason (most recently so I could put them in with bristlenose eggs to prevent fungus, those hatched an hour ago).

And the other tank is the albino Kribensis tank. Also not too interesting because it doesn’t have a light and I want to be able to see the babies and to make feeding the babies easier. The latest lot of babies hatched last night.
Great tanks. More plants in the middle one, give those guys some protection, plants are fantastic for that.

Most reactions

trending

Back