Heres One Of The Worst Things That Could Happen

fifefish

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,290
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Fife, Scotland
2 years ago when i had my first fully established tank,
a Bluebottle fly landed in the tank and drowned.
i could not see it since it was stuck behind my filter,
i only noticed it after a week.
i lost 75% of my fish

so i often check my tank just encase there is one floating around,
so i recommend you do so aswell since im seeing alot of them flying around now. :angry:
 
it was the bluebottle that cause the death as it smelt horrible and was leaking orange goo out of its shell into the water,
and if u dont believe why dont u put a bluebottle in your tank and see what happens..

whats a blue bottle fly?!
pics please!


it looks like this:
calliphora_vicina_hxx_xxxx.jpg
 
It was probably the decaying of the dead bluebottle fly generating ammonia which killed the fish perhaps.

Andy
 
I very much doubt that a bluebottle would have done that.

I have my doubts that a fly could have done that as well. Fish eat flies all the time, and it doesn't kill them. Unless it is poisonous (and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything that obviously pointed to their being poisonous), I don't even think that a decaying fly would kill off a tank. Flies do die in bodies of water all the time, too, without fish kills.

The amount of ammonia from a decaying fly wouldn't be much, and the bacterial colony, when mature, would have grown quickly to accommodate the extra ammonia. The bacteria can double roughly every 24 hours if given sufficient food.
 
Yep, but having not done a dead-fly-in-the-tank experiment, I thought I'd chip it in as a possibity!

Andy
 
I dunno... A fly could easily have been carrying pathogenic bacteria on its feet, which then multiplied in the warmer temperature of the tank, but thats just a suggestion.
Finlay
 
I very much doubt that a bluebottle would have done that.

I have my doubts that a fly could have done that as well. Fish eat flies all the time, and it doesn't kill them. Unless it is poisonous (and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything that obviously pointed to their being poisonous), I don't even think that a decaying fly would kill off a tank. Flies do die in bodies of water all the time, too, without fish kills.

The amount of ammonia from a decaying fly wouldn't be much, and the bacterial colony, when mature, would have grown quickly to accommodate the extra ammonia. The bacteria can double roughly every 24 hours if given sufficient food.

the fish had nibbled it a bit, but most of a bluebottle is inedible so it decays and creates a spike in my stats,
and it was a small 35litre tank aswell..
 
Let's look at that assumption a little closer:

I couldn't find the mass of the bluebottle fly anywhere, but wikipedia describes it as "slightly larger than a housefly". One of the sources I found for the mass of a housefly cited it at 12 mg.

For calculation purposes, let's just triple that size to 36 mg and consider that enough an approximation for "slightly larger". (I think that this is probably far more than needed, and only a 50% increase of mass is probably enough).

Now, let's just assume that all of that mass decays into ammonia. It won't really, but in exploring the worst-case scenarios we can see if the worst-case is really all that bad.

So, now we have 36 mg of ammonia in the tank. 36 mg / 35 L of water in the tank = 1.03 ppm.

That really isn't that huge of an increase. At least two things should be going on that ameliorate that number. Firstly, the fly won't decay spontaneously. So, all 36 mg of possible ammonia won't be dumped into the tank at once. Secondly, the filter bacteria will be increasing in number with the increase in available food. As I wrote above, the filter bacteria, given ample food, will double in number in 24 hours. Most fish tanks that are reasonably fully stocked have a population of fish that are putting out more than 1 ppm of ammonia waste a day. 2-5 is pretty typical. So, it wouldn't take the bacteria more than 24 hours to increase in numbers enough to completely consume that extra 1.03 ppm of ammonia.

Finally, your pH will have an effect by at least some of that ammonia will be ammonium, which is much less toxic. See my old thread [URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...&hl=ammonia"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...&hl=ammonia[/URL] for more information.

So, in review, in order to instantly add just a little over 1 ppm of ammonia -- which really isn't all that bad -- the fly has to die and decay instantly so your filter bacteria wouldn't have had a chance to respond yet, and all of its tissues have to be converted to ammonia. All this assuming a fly that is 3 times as massive as a common housefly.

If a common housefly (12 mg) were to decay into half ammonia (seems like as good a guess as any -- it really depends largely on what amount of the fish's tissues are nitrogen based), that only increases the ammonia by 0.17 ppm, assuming an instantaneous decay.

I'm just not buying that the decay of this fly spiked your numbers. Now, if you had 10 dead flies, maybe. And, I'm not discounting the foreign bacteria possibility, though there are some stretches in that hypothesis as well (like, the bacteria that came in on the fly would have had to found suitable sustenance in the tank -- bacteria are highly specialized over the long run. The dominant bacteria that would have been on the solid waste that the fly might have visited wouldn't be well-adapted to an aqueous environment where there isn't solid waste. The bacteria that is dominant in the tank should easily starve off any bacteria that isn't adapted for the environment). I'm just not buying the idea that a single fly that passed away in your tank could have spiked the levels enough that any fish would have even noticed. It just doesn't seem to jive with the numbers as I see them.
 
I'm ok as the wife is so protective over MY FISH( :good: ) the lid to my tank is never off for that long!!! :lol:


But thanks for the warning,

Mark.
 
the fly as a recall was roughly 2cm in diameter.
i can see no other possible cause to the fishes death,
i fed the fish only a tiny pinch each day making sure all of it was eaten,
had the lights on for 8-9 hours a day
i had done this for more than a year and then suddenly they died ,

i had 3 guppies, 4 tetra and 1 dwarf gourami

and they were all healthy until i noticed the bluebottle,
but like i said if your not convinced try putting on in a 35litre tank with ample filtration for a week and see your results.
 
It had to have been something else. I mean a fly could not have killed off most of your fish, I am sorry...



How often were you doing water changes?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top