Here we go again

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonny-5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well the Guppy explosion has started again This is my 4th generation of babies from same female family but did introduce a new male 2 generations ago with the virgin daughters
The male juvenile colourings are getting interesting.
Althoigh the pics are not great

Attachments

• 20210731_231438.jpg
    20210731_231438.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210731_231431.jpg
    20210731_231431.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210731_230355.jpg
    20210731_230355.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 56
Well the Guppy explosion has started again This is my 4th generation of babies from same female family but did introduce a new male 2 generations ago with the virgin daughters
Isn't that an Endler male in the first picture?

No but it does have lots of endler traits. I have no clue where it comes from as the parents of this male in particular where leopard/mosiac mutt guppys, Same as there parents were too. I have the parents & grandparents in different tanks still to this day
I've become aware that ever since a certain German received the original wild-caught Endlers, they've been repeatedly interbred with guppies. Pure-bred (relatively ! :D ) Endlers are still available, but apparently they're getting harder to find as more and more hobbyists interbreed and pass them into the LFS food chain.
Given their rate of reproduction, even your fishy Grandparents may have some Endler genes in their make-up.

Yes a few people on here have told me that too. I do believe most guppy originate from an endler of some sort, So i guess the traits will come out in different generations

whats the plant in the third photo?
looks like a rolled up elodea lol
very pretty little fish you have there!

No but it does have lots of endler traits. I have no clue where it comes from as the parents of this male in particular where leopard/mosiac mutt guppys, Same as there parents were too. I have the parents & grandparents in different tanks still to this day
Well, the male in pic#1 is an endler hybrid. Offcially, this is a snakeskin hybrid endler (also known as cobra endler). One of te parents could have carried that gene and one like this can show up in a mutt colony.
I've become aware that ever since a certain German received the original wild-caught Endlers, they've been repeatedly interbred with guppies. Pure-bred (relatively ! :D ) Endlers are still available, but apparently they're getting harder to find as more and more hobbyists interbreed and pass them into the LFS food chain.
Given their rate of reproduction, even your fishy Grandparents may have some Endler genes in their make-up.
If we look at the first specimens that were brought to Germany, for research purposes, the were named Poecilia endlerli. At that time they weren't crossbred yet. Much later in the 1990's the first endler hybrids were introduced to the aquarium scene. The first ones were the tiger endlers, snakeskin endlers and the chili endlers. Note that the japan blue shorttail guppies are actually wild guppies an not endlers. Adrian Hernandez crossed those japan blue guppies for the first time with an endler. The result was a similar looking japan blue specimen with a black dot on both sides of the chest. Those are the japan hybrids. But the ones without a mark on both sides is a genuine guppy.
Yes a few people on here have told me that too. I do believe most guppy originate from an endler of some sort, So i guess the traits will come out in different generations
Most fancy guppies are derived from genuine wild guppies. But nowadays, the commercial world has taken care of new lines that carry endler genes as well. Mostly because of the metallic and bright look what a lot of wild endlers show. But also to increase the health of those new guppy lines. For endlers are stronger than fancy guppies. But as long as mass reproduction is still at hand with hardly selection procedures, weakness in commercial fancy guppies will remain an issue.

Yes your right it is a rolled up Elodea. I just drop stems in the breeder box for the fry to hide until i release them a week later into the grow out tank
yep! the babies like to eat the algae and the hiding spaces
are they a special elodea?

Hey, @jonny-5 , Long time no see! Nice to see you here and still breeding your guppies! They're lovely. Any chance of getting pics of the parents and other adults please? :D

It's really fun when breeding mutt guppies and you're a few generations in, and you're seeing the traits you've been selecting for start to come out. And when they throw something unexpected, but pretty! Making me want my guppies back... :(

But I can live vicariously through you and everyone else, enjoying pics of your guppies and following your breeding process, without having to personally deal with raising and rehoming hundreds of fry anymore :fun:

A guy who seemed to know his stuff told me that my last few batches of offspring had Endler in 'em too. I think that it came from this male;

DSCF6287.JPG
DSCF6288.JPG
DSCF7852.JPG
DSCF7849.JPG

My terrible photos don't do him justice. I couldn't resist getting him, the reds are so varied and intense, and I love the purple tinge in his tail, body spot and body colour. I did think he reminded me a bit of an Endler with the body spot you can see in the last photo, but it's the youngsters he fathered that really show more Endler traits :D I've kept a group of males, including one of his sons who looks just like him, and some other really pretty ones with more Endler looks. Gotta get some recent photos of those ones.

Hey, @jonny-5 , Long time no see! Nice to see you here and still breeding your guppies! They're lovely. Any chance of getting pics of the parents and other adults please? :D

It's really fun when breeding mutt guppies and you're a few generations in, and you're seeing the traits you've been selecting for start to come out. And when they throw something unexpected, but pretty! Making me want my guppies back... :(

But I can live vicariously through you and everyone else, enjoying pics of your guppies and following your breeding process, without having to personally deal with raising and rehoming hundreds of fry anymore :fun:

A guy who seemed to know his stuff told me that my last few batches of offspring had Endler in 'em too. I think that it came from this male;

View attachment 142543View attachment 142544View attachment 142546View attachment 142548

My terrible photos don't do him justice. I couldn't resist getting him, the reds are so varied and intense, and I love the purple tinge in his tail, body spot and body colour. I did think he reminded me a bit of an Endler with the body spot you can see in the last photo, but it's the youngsters he fathered that really show more Endler traits :D I've kept a group of males, including one of his sons who looks just like him, and some other really pretty ones with more Endler looks. Gotta get some recent photos of those ones.
super cute gupps! my male guppies are just like that, but they are all round tail!

View attachment 142543View attachment 142544View attachment 142546View attachment 142548

I do nip on now and again & thanks for the Welcome back. Not really posted much in the forums as nothing much has been happening except working & family life.
The guppy females i have are from the original batch way back when. I dont do to bad with being able to off load the fry when i have too many.
After the cory wipe out last year i kept the smaller guppy tank going with the remaing fry. So now with the new Cory army in the 30 Gallon its all doing well. Just replanted it & upgraded the lighting.
Keep finding Cory eggs so things are looking up in there.

I do nip on now and again & thanks for the Welcome back. Not really posted much in the forums as nothing much has been happening except working & family life.
The guppy females i have are from the original batch way back when. I dont do to bad with being able to off load the fry when i have too many.
After the cory wipe out last year i kept the smaller guppy tank going with the remaing fry. So now with the new Cory army in the 30 Gallon its all doing well. Just replanted it & upgraded the lighting.
Keep finding Cory eggs so things are looking up in there.
Aaaww dude, that's wonderful to hear! So glad you got cories again, and that they're doing well for you! 💕

I get ya about not having much to update, just been busy with family and real life things myself too. But it's always good to see new photos and just chat fish in general when you get the chance and inclination! Would love to see photos of the new cories and revamped tank when/if you have photos you want to share :D You're definitely on the right track if they're spawning for you.

Nice to catch up, I remember the rough patch with cories from last year and how hard you worked to try to save them. Glad you have a happy little school of the cuties again now. :)

Yep it was a pain, With all the daily water changes & cleaning aswell as the meds. Like you know im not in favour of any meds in fish keeping but it was the last resort for my old Corydoras. Was hoping the oldest (6 years old) would have made it through but sadly he was the first to go, My kids were gutted😕

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back