Here I go again 150 gallon reset.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wonder if the pygmies will learn to use bush telegraph....150 gallons is like the Atlantic Ocean when you are only tiny...

"Hello...is anybody there?!?!"

....echo....echo....echo.....

"Where are you?"

"I'm over here!"

"Where's..... "over here"....."

;)
Some serious Marco-Polo

Pygmy Cats v's Discus
20220807_085045.jpg

Breakfast time, spot the Pygmy Catfish
20220807_085459.jpg

Good thing those discus are not fish eaters....

Green with envy here.....seriously seriously green with envy cos you got such a lovely home, garden and aquarium...what more could anyone wish for...not alot

Green with envy here.....seriously seriously green with envy cos you got such a lovely home, garden and aquarium...what more could anyone wish for...not alot
I'm a lucky boy. I also have a beautiful wife that tolerates having a six-foot tank next to the dining room table. 🤣

I'm a lucky boy. I also have a beautiful wife that tolerates having a six-foot tank next to the dining room table. 🤣
Oh I can imagine the threat from your better half....

"Behave yourself or the fish gets it....with chips....and mushy peas" (whilst waving her fork in the air during dinner) ;)

I have Aponogetons coming and needed to figure out a way to give them some nutrients. I found these really neat little planter bags, went out in the bush found some peat, down to the beach some more gravel. When they are fill, you can just wiggle them into the base of your tank and they disappear. Potted plant in a bag.
20220821_161449.jpg
20220821_161755.jpg
20220821_162459.jpg

Depending on species a lot of them require hibernation and the type of hibernation is species dependent. Also some can be left in the aquarium during hibernation and others require removal and special treatment (dry, cold, ...).

Depending on species a lot of them require hibernation and the type of hibernation is species dependent. Also some can be left in the aquarium during hibernation and others require removal and special treatment (dry, cold, ...).
Wow, wow, lots of information so I have Undulatus, what needs to be done?

Wow, wow, lots of information so I have Undulatus, what needs to be done?
Well you are in luck according to the book undulatus is one of the plants that do not require a rest period (the only other i know of off hand is cripus); even better it spreads by forming tublers at the end of the leaves as oppose to flower/seeds. I have one in my 40B for the past two years - haven't noticed any little tublers but it hasn't rested. This is different than for example the popular Ulvaceus which frequently hibernates. In fact the one in my 29 was hibernating for over a year when it suddently respawned. Technically i'm suppose to remove it and put in a cool dark place but i just leave it in the tank - in theory i've already killed it. Still for such a large plant you cannot depend on it being present as frequently it is not there even if it is really there. I have the same issue in my 120 so it is a plant i will no longer buy but i haven't dug out the bulbs i already own. The 29 is a low tech tank that i'm using to grow out some extremely well behaved angels (unlike the last set i had that bicker day and night). In a hi-tech tank the plant can fill approx 1/2 the tank in a matter of days so in the low tech 29 it is better contrained and in a few months it will sadly hibernate. The dark green plant sneaking behind it is a. boivinianus which is my favorite of the group. A lovely plant. And yes they love to be fed so don't neglect your plants in favor of your fishes ;)

w29_aug_2022.jpg

Spring is here and the Pygmy cats are spawning in the mulm under a piece of driftwood (just to the left of the Crypt). This morning while I was looking for fry this little Black Phantom showed up. You can see one of the pygmy's just to the left of the crypt in the light, in the first photo
20220904_091732.jpg
20220904_091646.jpg
20220904_091542.jpg

I am having a good day today, the tank needed to be planted down again, so I have been rummaging around in it for about an hour.
When I set this tank up, I said that I wanted it to be so that the fish would spawn in a community setup, the pygmy's are spawning now and the Black Phantoms just are continually spawning. Because the tank is heavily planted and there is a lot of mulm on the base it is hard to do a head count. But I have around 20 Black Phantoms now in the main school and I have just counted another six or so that are too small yet, that brings my Black Phantom population up to around thirty fish from the ten I bought at the end of last year.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back