Helping with no3 ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
85CF32C3-D1B3-42C6-9E68-C4843F4D7702.jpeg
About a month ago I added a monstera to my tank just submerged roots and at first I thought it was dying but after it’s adjusted to water its thriving new leaves weekly and must Be soaking up the no3 any thoughts

They are very good at using Nitrates as a food source 🙂 (and in my house the plants are lucky they don’t have to rely on me to water them 😂)
Have plants in my tank itself is impossible for my stocking but they seem to allow roots hoping I can reduce size of water changes over time by adding more to the surface

Well directly or indirectly... Most plants prefer to use ammonia as their nitrogen source so the more ammonia used by plants (converted into plant tissue) means less ammonia that bacteria will convert to nitrite and then nitrate. It requires more energy to use nitrates instead of ammonia, but who cares as long as the plants are assisting in improving water quality by directly or indirectly lowering tank nitrates! :)

Honestly I thought they were dying and melting but after a week they lost 90% of the roots and began to grow I was shocked at its growth rate , today is water change day and normally after 7 days no3 is 60ppm this week 40-60ppm definitely a small colour change and for £8 il think il get a few more

Honestly I thought they were dying and melting but after a week they lost 90% of the roots and began to grow I was shocked at its growth rate , today is water change day and normally after 7 days no3 is 60ppm this week 40-60ppm definitely a small colour change and for £8 il think il get a few more
How have you suspended it in the tank? I really want to give it a go in mine at some point.

I've just tagged you in an other thread on a similar subject - worth checking out :)

Wills

How have you suspended it in the tank? I really want to give it a go in mine at some point.

I've just tagged you in an other thread on a similar subject - worth checking out :)

Wills
They are just cable tied then clothes pegged to the back of the tank I expect il have to use different cable ties as they grow or find a new method but honestly I would try it super easy and I’m seeing results

They are just cable tied then clothes pegged to the back of the tank I expect il have to use different cable ties as they grow or find a new method but honestly I would try it super easy and I’m seeing results
Nice I’ve not looked for a while but you can get aquaponic kits that have like acrylic plant holders might have a hunt again

Nice I’ve not looked for a while but you can get aquaponic kits that have like acrylic plant holders might have a hunt again
Iv saw similar I might invest in some or try n bodge something similar,

I got a bit stumped as the glass ‘border’ around the top of the tank made hanging anything a bit difficult, I ended up making a double loop pf plastic covered wire and used a hook on the back of the tank hold it in place.

Be aware that plants in the Pothos family can release toxins when the roots, stems, leaves are cut or broken. They need to be ‘healed’ before putting into the tank.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That’s a good one , iv read that monstera will eventually root in the substrate once big enough
Do you mean root in the substrate and grow through the water and break the surface?

Just a little snippet from my experience (and not with a monstera) but I’ve removed my peace lily as the roots were just taking over the whole tank 🤦‍♀️

Do you mean root in the substrate and grow through the water and break the surface?
Apparently as they grow the roots will get long and look for substrate to anchor too but that would be 24inch roots in my tank would be awesome to have roots from surface to sand

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back