help ??

jive

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok, i have a 55 gal. aq. lighted by two 15 watt ultra sun lights. is that enough to grow plants? i have some plnats but it seems like there all dying. some grow a little. while others are slowly diying, like the sword plants there dying. i have others but dont know the names of them. i read that u need 1 watt for every 2 ltrs. of water. is that true? if i dont have enough wats should i leave the lights on longer will that make up for it? i have flourite for the substrate. and a homemade co2 thing. help? thanks.

Leaving the lights on longer will not help growth. You need more wattage...a lot more. I have 130 watts on my 55 gallon, and I still don't have enough!

I wouldn't bother trying to grow mid-high light plants even with the addition of CO2. Stick to low light plants..ie. java moss..anubias..etc. until you get better lighting.

What sort of plants do you want to grow? Some survive on low light whereas others need stadium lighting. The names escape me right now, but I've read of a couple plants that will almost grow in the dark.

Colin

At 30 Watts per gallon, you have very low light. You'd need 100 - 110 Watts of full spectrum fluorescent light on for 10 - 12 hours a day to get to "Medium" light.

At such low light levels, some Anubias species will grow, Java Moss, and some of the ordinary cultivars of Java Fern will grow, albeit slowly. There are also some Crypts which grow in subdued light.

At light levels that low, your CO2 system is not going to do nything, their is not enough light for the plants to use it. Leaving the lights on for longer will not help. Plants need a dark period.

Browse the plants on the list at Tropica and see if you can find something you like that matches your water chemistry and grows in Low light.

Alternatively, try to get your light levels up.

currently you have 0.5watts per gallon.. thats not going to get plants growing..
Not even low light plants, you'll need to dubble your setup
you might want to remove the CO2,

but you do have two wonderfull 15 watt lights, if you have a 10gallon you could make that nice planted tank

thanks for the advice, u guys...or girls, rock.

ok, one more question. what kinda of lights and how much, and ill need a new canopy or canopys for the lights too. all i have is small ones that just hold a single bulb. ive looked in the doc. foster and smith books and web site but there are so many i dont know what to get. what would u guys suggest? not to exspensive.
thanks

you laso might want to add a liquid fertilizer that contains chelated iron. most aquatic plants need iron to grow and dont get enough. but dont get the liquid fertilizer until you approve your lighting because it wont help.

look for fullspectrum light with a temp of 5500K to 6500K, you dont have to get the overpriced once at the LFS, as long as you get 2 - 3watts per gallon, thats 110 - 165watts over your 55Gallon

thanks, but what brand ? do they all work the same? when i get some new lights..shortly hopefuly. ill be ordering from the dr. foster smith guys. any suggestions on that?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back