Help!

Miamisportsfan45

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 22, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
I got a male Guppy Fancy at my local WalMart, and I put it directly into my fish tank, a 55 gallon, with a Goldfish in the tank as well. I only had the bag floating in the water for about 2-3 minutes, and now it's acting up and seems to be weak as well. I don't know what to do and I'm worried about how things will end up. Please help.
 
Goldfish are coldwater. Guppies are warmwater (tropical). Take the guppy back to the store until you have an established tank with heater and filter set up for him. Otherwise, just get rid of the goldfish, add a heater, and have a tropical community tank. Cheers. ^^; :)
 
Yeah, I only had the Goldfish in there because I wanted the filter to produce the beneficial bacteria for when I get the tropical aquarium running. I have a heater, but the temperature is already at 76 degrees without the heater.

The problem with this was that, I bought the fish and without thinking opened the bag and poured it right into the fish tank. Now it's all disoriented and swimming upside down and into things, and staying along the bottom of the tank. The Goldfish seemed to be bothering it as well. Will these two in the tank be a problem together? Other then climate/temperature differences that is. Also, will my fish be okay since it's in shock from not getting it used to the water temp of the new tank?
 
The goldfish and guppy should be OK together at 76F. If you have done no water changes while the goldfish was cycling your tank, that is the problem. Do an immediate 50% or more water change with dechlorinated water about the same temperature, or slightly cooler than the water in the tank. Turn the heater down a bi as the guppy can be very happy at only about 70F and that will be easier on your goldfish. Guppies are incredibly tough fish but cannot take bad water conditions. Do you have a liquid type testing kit to test for ammonia and nitrites? If not, you need to get one as a priority. Daily water changes of 50% or more water is an emergency measure you can take until you get that test kit. Once the water chemistry improves, the guppy should recover nicely, if it survives until then.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top