Help With My New (secondhand) Filter Please?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
So I've been given this tank for free :D
3530741549_92b95e4aaf.jpg

The filter is only the second I've ever seen and I'm not quite sure how it works. Here are some pics
The box
3530742077_e41bcb9cb9.jpg

The bit stands up inside the box with the motor on top
3531558590_4f1d62dfa5.jpg

These are the sponges in the order I took them out
3530743743_b939fccf63.jpg

And this is to be changed every month-it is filter floss? Where does it go?
3531557042_4cf497e2b2.jpg

I was expecting some ceramic media?
I can't work out which are the water intakes. I'd like to know how low the water level could be?
And also, would it work lying on its side?
Thanks for any help :)
 
ceramics arent 100% neccesary really, the floss goes at the top, the picture you provided shows the intake as the big top one, and the small lower one, one on the left hand side and one on the front... it needs to be siliconed in place high enough so that the water level is just above the big guarded opening on the front
 
Is the tank a rekord 60 by juwel.
if so the filters are crap and I would just go out and buy and internal filter.
 
Is the tank a rekord 60 by juwel.
if so the filters are crap and I would just go out and buy and internal filter.


i think it is the rekord range, but looks to big for a 60, maybe 96????

likewise the filter will be rubbish, get an external one capable of about 10x the tanks volume
 
I took the box out and added an internal filter and heater. The heater not that good either. Mine over heated once.

The glass tank themselves are good it just the crappy equipment.
 
same ere, not really impressed with jewel, rubbish filters, rubbish heaters and dodgy lights, shame though because the build of the tank and silicone, plus hood is nice, but its like where do you draw the line

good luck with the filter citu :)
 
Thanks guys :) It's a Juwel 96l 80x40x30cm.
I'm currently intending to use it to rescue 2 axolotls from a small unfiltered tank. Because they stay at the bottom all the time though, I'm thinking it's a bit of a waste so am going to look out for something else.
If they do get it though, I'll need to cycle the filter (no option of buying a new one, they're not even mine and I've done them this favour!).
Will it work laying down, then I could cycle it in their old tank?
 
You have to stand the box up. I doubt it would work properly layed down.
 
Thanks for the link :good:
If it won't lay down, that's my plan pretty much shot :(
I don't want to do a fish in cycle in the new tank as I won't be there over the weekend (they're kept at work) and so couldn't keep on top of the required water changes.
 
I wouldn't trust a juwel filter then they can soon clog up and stop working.
Always cleaning the stupid powerhead for it to run properly.
 
The juwel filters are actually some of the best bio filters available, the water passes over the sponges slowly so has high contact time with the bacteria, thus allowing better more efficient filtration. the water is then drawn up and past the heater so is heated effectively. as long as theyre maintained they work very effectively.

the lighting is also very good! they have some of the best lighting compared to similar tanks.
 
Only have a rekord 60 by juwel and the powerhead and heater were crap.
The lighting was ok once I changed the bulb.

The tanks now sat in the garage if anything goes wrong with my other tank.
 
To be fair, my jewuls been running about a year and half now and I've never had any probs with my filter system, I just maintain it every 4-6 weeks.

At the moment I am currently seeding an eheim external filter from the jewul internal and plan on removing the internal. This isnt anything to do with the jewul filter, I just want to be able to take it out to gain a little more swimming room in the tank.

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top