Help with Ick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rye502

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a Porcupine Puffer, that is covered in ick right now. This is the first time I have had to deal with Ick. So i went to my local store and got some advice. The guy told me to drop my salinty level down to 1.017 which i did, and use the chemical. Seems to be working so far still some left on him, but someone also told me I can take him and put him into my freshwater tank for about 5 mins to kill off some of the ick. I have not done this yet, and wanted some advice from the group.

Thanks!

Dont do the fresh water dip.

Do you have corals or is this a fish only?

If it is a fish only get Cupramine made by seachem,it works great.This is a copper base so you cannot have inverts at all in the tank.It will also kill all your live stuff on your rocks.

If it is a small puffer i would put him in a twenty gallon med tank and then treat.
This stuff works great.

Hopes this helps.

I read the following below in the tropical fish forum is the part about the temp increase true???

thanks

I've just encountered ICH for the first time so I'm a little frantic of what to do. I have a 25 Gallon (U.S.) it's planted with a lot of fish in it. I have tetras and other types in there...I bought a medication called "Quick Care" which tells me to put 1 drop per 1 gallon in but if i have tetras then 1 drop per 2 gallons...well I was also told that if I put in too little medication, it won't work and if I put too much in it will harm my tetras! Now, what do I do? My sharks are infected...and some of my tetras...I can't put in 1 drop per 1 gallon because of my tetras therefore I'm not putting in enough for my sharks!!!! What do I do?? I've raised the temperature to 26 degress celcius (80 F???) I think!? Going to try raise it to 28! Will raising the temperature help in anyway or just cause more damage? Again, I read or heard all this from somebody....HELP would be most appreciated!!!!

Raising the temp will only stress them out even more.

Is the ich bad or not.

Ich also can only live on fish,So if you kept your tank fishless for six weeks all the ich would die off. Put the puffer in a med tank for treatment and leave your main tank fishless. After six weeks if your fish show no signs of ich you should have no problem with this again.

Rember when you buy new fish the best thing is to qt them for a couple weeks to see if they are desease free.

If you need more help let me know.

well thanks for your help guys but he died last night :( , so back to square one.

thanks though

if you are sure it was ich, leave the tank fishless for at least six weeks to starve it to death.

Sorry to hear you lost the fish :(

Ya i am, I actually srained that 50 gallon today and made it a brine water tank for my spotted puffers, and i bought a 100 gallon today and just set that up for my new salt water tank.

So i will let this one cycle for awhile, so no new fish for me for a bit! :/

Equalizer said:
if you are sure it was ich, leave the tank fishless for at least six weeks to starve it to death.
While reading through some vet school notes (not mine! I'm still an undergrad) I came across info about ich. The notes/slides said that ich can live up to 96 hours (four days) without a host.

My vet told me to boil the plants (plastic, not the live ones!) and gravel and scrub anything else with salt.

Sorry about the fishy loss(es) :(

Pamela
aka Lizard

Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Go to reefcentral.com and do a search for ich. You will see it takes longer than 96 hrs.
Im by no means an expert but I think i would trust a marine biologist before the vet.
Maybe marine ich is diffrent than FW,Dunno.

Good luck with new set-up :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back