Help with care and ID

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That looks like a fairly standard algae wafer, whereas those JBL ones are designed specifically for the wood-eating loricariids (there are many). My clown pleco loves her wood wafers, but when I put normal algae wafers in her tank, not for her but for otos I had in there at the time, she never showed any interest in them. Neither did the otos, for that matter!

That looks like a fairly standard algae wafer, whereas those JBL ones are designed specifically for the wood-eating loricariids (there are many). My clown pleco loves her wood wafers, but when I put normal algae wafers in her tank, not for her but for otos I had in there at the time, she never showed any interest in them. Neither did the otos, for that matter!
Oh ok! I'll try to find some wafers that are similar! I'm thinking about getting some Malaysian Driftwood for the Pleco. I'll try to make a little driftwood cave area for him/her

Awesome rescue, and super cute! :wub:

That’s great you took him into your home.

Clown Plecos are awesome, I see the, at my LFS all the time.

I love plecos, but they make a mess of things, lol.

I'm making a little list for when I go to my LFS either tomorrow if I have time or in 2 days. So far I have Malaysian Driftwood, Pennywort (I wanted to get more for my 29 gallon), and try to find similar wood eater wafers. Is there anything I should add to that? Thanks for the help! Also, will he destroy my driftwood or will he only eat little bits of it that are not noticeable?

I have one living in a 29g tank, along with cherry barbs, some corys, and a Bolivian ram. So there's no need for you to rehome it.
If I do keep it do you think I will be overstocking my tank? I'd love to keep him but I don't want to hurt him or the other fishies

I love clown Plecos. Super cool that you rescued him as well.

May I just ask where you got the driftwood from? Was it found or did you buy it from a LFS? I have two ancistrus and I don’t have any driftwood in the tank as I’ve just realised that is an essential for an ancistrus

I love this little pleco and have one myself. Very rarely see mine, the odd few times it been out but I know it’s favourite hiding place so I can check him most days.
Mine literally stays under his log most of the time, lights out he moves around and occasionally I catch him eating the cucumber when I switch the lights on.

I use 1 pleco tablet which get demolished in the evening (some reason my tetras love these to), 1 piece of cucumber or courgette (skinned) changed ever 3-4 days so it doesn’t rot, one side of my tank glass i don’t clean and let it build up for natural food which he loves along with my ottos

6F5A3C29-985B-4FCB-BD18-48B715BF0A82.jpeg

I think you'd be fine, especially if you do weekly large water changes. If you rehome anything, it would make more sense for it to be the livebearers, since you say you have soft water.

I love clown Plecos. Super cool that you rescued him as well.

May I just ask where you got the driftwood from? Was it found or did you buy it from a LFS? I have two ancistrus and I don’t have any driftwood in the tank as I’ve just realised that is an essential for an ancistrus
I got it from my LFS :) they have huge amounts of driftwood there
I love this little pleco and have one myself. Very rarely see mine, the odd few times it been out but I know it’s favourite hiding place so I can check him most days.
Mine literally stays under his log most of the time, lights out he moves around and occasionally I catch him eating the cucumber when I switch the lights on.

I use 1 pleco tablet which get demolished in the evening (some reason my tetras love these to), 1 piece of cucumber or courgette (skinned) changed ever 3-4 days so it doesn’t rot, one side of my tank glass i don’t clean and let it build up for natural food which he loves along with my ottos

View attachment 125523
Awww! Your pleco is so cute!
I think you'd be fine, especially if you do weekly large water changes. If you rehome anything, it would make more sense for it to be the livebearers, since you say you have soft water.
Thanks. I've been working on rehoming a few of the livebearers.

Thanks for all the responses! The plecos doing really well this morning. I see him hiding under a piece of Malaysian driftwood I added. Haha now to think of some name ideas!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back