Help with Angelfish fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ghazwan

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I hope all is well,
I am a new member this family, and very excited to be here.
I am new to Angelfish breeding. In fact, I have a 3 weeks fry batch made it so far and it is my first one. I have a couple of failures with eggs and fry.
About 10 days ago, I begun expecting weird fry swimming. Sometimes the swim upside down and they spin fast on an axis. I had checked and researched this situation online, but unfortunately did not have an answer for this. All the fry eat very well and I have feeding them live and frozen BBS, live Banana and Micro worms. Feeding 3 times a day. I keep them in 5 Gallon tank and doing 10% water change everyday until two days ago I moved to 30%. I only use RO water. Water temperature is 80 F, Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. I have not turned the light off since they were eggs. Also, I had Java Moss and I removed it due to developing Detritus worms just two days after putting it in the tank and that was about 10 days ago. Since then, worms have been showing up in tank, but as the fry are growing, the started to snack on them. The tank has a HOB covered water intake with fry proven filter with very low water flow, in addition to a sponge filter.
please help me out with this issue as I really don’t want to lose my fry. My kids love them and very happy to have them.
BTW, I am as not able to attach a video, but attached a picture.
Thank you very much,

Ghazwan

Attachments

• 04D702C1-CCD4-473C-A080-784ACA85750C.jpeg
    04D702C1-CCD4-473C-A080-784ACA85750C.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 104
I am new to Angelfish breeding. In fact, I have a 3 weeks fry batch made it so far and it is my first one. I have a couple of failures with eggs and fry.
About 10 days ago, I begun expecting weird fry swimming. Sometimes the swim upside down and they spin fast on an axis. I had checked and researched this situation online, but unfortunately did not have an answer for this.
Fish spinning through the water is normally caused by a bacterial or protozoan infection in the brain.

Big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate usually help.

Adding some salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water) for 2 weeks can also help.

Fish spinning through the water is normally caused by a bacterial or protozoan infection in the brain.

Big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate usually help.

Adding some salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water) for 2 weeks can also help.

Thank you very much for your response, Colin!.
My tank is 5 Gallons and bare bottom. What type of salt do I add for 2 weeks?. How much for 5 gallons? Do I do 50% daily water change?.
Also, would this product help to cure them?
Hikari Prazipro 16oz

My tank is 5 Gallons and bare bottom. What type of salt do I add for 2 weeks?. How much for 5 gallons? Do I do 50% daily water change?.
Hikari Prazipro 16oz
Freshwater aquarium Salt (API sells it highly recommend it)
As for dosage, I want to say 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons, but I would double check with @Colin_T
As for water changes, I would recommend doing 70% water changes, but again, I would wait for Colin's response
As for the medication, I have never used it before.

Prazipro contains praziquantel, which treats tapeworm and gill flukes and will do nothing to help this situation.

--------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

------------------
Use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt for every 20 litres. If there's no improvement after 2 days, then add another heaped tablespoon of salt per 20 litres so there is a total of 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

20 litres is about 5 gallons but use the formula above to work out how much water is in the tank.

------------------
Change at least 50% of the tank volume every day. 75% is better.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

When you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

After 2 weeks with salt, stop using it and do a 10% water change each day for 1 week, then do 20% each day for a week, then do normal water changes once a week or however often you do them.

Hikari Prazipro 16oz

Thank you very much for your input, S
Freshwater aquarium Salt (API sells it highly recommend it)
As for dosage, I want to say 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons, but I would double check with @Colin_T
As for water changes, I would recommend doing 70% water changes, but again, I would wait for Colin's response
As for the medication, I have never used it before.

Thank you very much for your input, Stefan! I will take your advice and wait for Colin’s response.

Prazipro contains praziquantel, which treats tapeworm and gill flukes and will do nothing to help this situation.

--------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

------------------
Use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt for every 20 litres. If there's no improvement after 2 days, then add another heaped tablespoon of salt per 20 litres so there is a total of 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

20 litres is about 5 gallons but use the formula above to work out how much water is in the tank.

------------------
Change at least 50% of the tank volume every day. 75% is better.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

When you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

After 2 weeks with salt, stop using it and do a 10% water change each day for 1 week, then do 20% each day for a week, then do normal water changes once a week or however often you do them.

Thank you very much for this detailed info, Colin!.
Is the aquarium salt same as rock salt?. Also, would the Angelfish fry get negatively impacted (die) by the salt I will be adding? They are 3 weeks old.

Maybe turn the light off and give them time to sleep
This, OP. I don't know enough to suggest this might be causing your problems, but it's not good for fish to have lights on them 24/7, neither for adults or fry. Fish have a daily rhythm too, and need complete darkness to sleep well. Have the lights on at the same time period each day, no more than eight hours, and turn all their lights off at other times.

Yes aquarium salt and rock salt are normally the same thing.

Salt at the dose rates I recommended are fine for freshwater fish.

Fish and plants need at least 8 hours rest but can have up to 16 hours of light per day.

Yes aquarium salt and rock salt are normally the same thing.

Salt at the dose rates I recommended are fine for freshwater fish.

Fish and plants need at least 8 hours rest but can have up to 16 hours of light per day.
Thank you very much, Colin!. I will follow your instructions and will update you.

How are your fish doing
Thank you all!. I have doing the big water change and adding the aquarium salt to the water for the past couple of days, and I see some improvement on the fry. I will keep doing it for 2 weeks and see.

Thank you very much, Colin!. I will follow your instructions and will update you.
Hi Colin, this is an update on my Angelfish fry. So far there has been an improvement on the situation. Just few of them still spinning around but a lot less than before, and When I feed them, many of them would swim upside down chasing the the live baby brine shrimps.
I am doing 70% daily water change and adding the aquarium salt amount that you recommended. I also added a UV sterilizer to the tank and run it 24/7 to kill any free swimming parasites and viruses. I am thinking of increasing the amount of salt as you mentioned in your comment to make it 2 full tablespoons in the 5 Gallon tank ( 20 liters), and continue for 2 more weeks. What would you recommend?.
Also, I just placed a new Angelfish eggs batch in another 5 Gallons tank to hatch them. What do I need to do in order not to have the new hatch get infected with the same parasites that makes them spinning around. I mean a prevention plan to protect the new hatch?.
Please let me know.
I deeply thank you and everyone for all your support here to fix my fish issue!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back