Help With Activity Proposal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am applying for a counselor position at a camp to be help in July for two weeks that will cater to a group of 13-17 year olds.  I wanted to head an activity based around fishkeeping, and wanted some ideas from you guys with respect to progression of activities, layouts, etc.  Please keep in mind that this is still only the proposal phase, and I will have to have this approved before anything is solidified.

The goal of the activities in the camp is to instill in the participants an appreciation for whatever skill(s) they are taught, as well as whatever ethical underpinnings are involved.  As such, the first bit of help for this would be: what are the ethical underpinnings?  My current thoughts:
  • environmental awareness
  • care for others (creatures, in this case)
  • responsibility (well-being of "others")
The skills/interests to be imparted:
  • sciences/ conservation science
  • understanding of water chemistry; intricacies of ecosystems (aquatic)
  • critical thinking - determining bioloads, fish groupings, substrates, filtration systems, etc.
My current plan:
  • Set up multiple freshwater tanks before the camp starts, having already gone through the cycling process, but only having partial substrates, starter fish, etc.
  • I will attempt to have these set up their final locations beforehand so as not to risk breakage during a move
  • I was planning on having roughly 3 setups, focusing on three different biotopes.  current thoughts are: Malawi cichlids, SA cichlids, and mixed community fish
  • The first day or so, the students will be made aware of the importance of water chemistry and interactions between various species of fish. I will have the readings for the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc. levels available for the duration of the cycle(s)
  • Throughout the two weeks, the students will be in charge of keeping a log of water quality for reference and problem-solving
  • The first few days will also be devoted to acquisition of driftwood, rocks (inert and partially soluble), moss, plants, etc. according to their schematics for their tank
  • They will also be in charge of determining the nutritional values of the various foods (this might be tough, so I might simply reduce this to a selection of *types* of food) and ways of administering (i.e. veggie clips, "lead" strips, wafers, basters, etc.)
  • I also wanted to try working with live foods such as black worms and brine shrimp, to give them a sense of the complexity involved in a balanced diet
  • Plants will be involved as well, so the students will be in charge of determining the proper lighting for their plant choices.
  • This will develop aquascaping experience: substrate selection, plant location, ornament location, etc.
  • Throughout the entire process, I was planning to offer them articles ranging from: fish-per-inch concept, strata in the fish tank, community behavior, aggression, nutrition, plant requirements, filtration requirements, water chemistry

This will be a 3-month project for me if it pans out, and if it does, I was hoping to rely on your help to make this a success.  Of course, getting a decent proposal drafted by this Sunday is the first step, so if any of you could help with the format and ideas involved with this draft, I would greatly appreciate it.

One question that google has not been able to answer for me: what is an "upscale" term for "fishkeeping".  Aquarism does not seem to be a true term, but fishkeeping, though tried and true, makes this seem like a passing interest rather than a hobby worth a deal of personal investment.  Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back