Help! What is wrong with my White Cloud Minnow?

Best method is the one suggested, put it in a paper towel and whack it with a hammer. It's over in a second.

While it may not be something you enjoy doing (nobody does) it's the best thing for the fish which is the most important thing.

If he is that near death then let Mother Nature takes itā€™s course. Iā€™m sorry. Heā€™s probably dying of old age. You did a great job and he had a great life. :)

euthanise it now.

White clouds normally live in cool water and yours is living in warm water, which means it will age faster. They are also a short lived fish and 4 years is a long life for white clouds living in a tropical tank.

You call yourself a rookie but have had the fish for 4 years. That doesn't sound right.

----------------
If you get sick fish, post pictures and ask for help asap. The sooner we see the fish, the sooner we can offer advice.

----------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week or two. Then do it once a week from then on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

----------------
If you have an aggressive male guppy, do not add any more guppies to the tank.

Monitor the remaining fish and Don't get any new fish for at least 4 weeks.
Thanks for your advice, I definitely wouldnā€™t have known a lot of that.

He's been euthanized and I buried him in the backyard.

Iā€™m a hs student so half the time itā€™s been my parents taking care of them, but Iā€™ve been diverting more attention to them since quarantine. All weā€™ve ever really done is feed and clean, and we have never known much about fish diseases and treatments, nor have we noticed them before. Sorry if I came out sounding sketchy when I said ā€œrookieā€ ;(

I guess itā€™s a fluke or something that heā€™s lived this long. I will be sure to ask asap next time if I think a fish is sick.

I was wondering if I could clarify a few things though:
1. If I change 75% of the water, will it kill my other fish because theyā€™re not used to it? Before this all my changes were typically 20 to 30%.
2. To get the chlorine/chloramine out would that mean I should add aquarium water conditioner to the new water before putting it into the tank?
3. Do you have any ideas as to what he might've had?

Thank you and everyone else in this thread who lent their help :)

Thanks for your advice, I definitely wouldnā€™t have known a lot of that.

He's been euthanized and I buried him in the backyard.

Iā€™m a hs student so half the time itā€™s been my parents taking care of them, but Iā€™ve been diverting more attention to them since quarantine. All weā€™ve ever really done is feed and clean, and we have never known much about fish diseases and treatments, nor have we noticed them before. Sorry if I came out sounding sketchy when I said ā€œrookieā€ ;(

I guess itā€™s a fluke or something that heā€™s lived this long. I will be sure to ask asap next time if I think a fish is sick.

I was wondering if I could clarify a few things though:
1. If I change 75% of the water, will it kill my other fish because theyā€™re not used to it? Before this all my changes were typically 20 to 30%.
2. To get the chlorine/chloramine out would that mean I should add aquarium water conditioner to the new water before putting it into the tank?
3. Do you have any ideas as to what he might've had?

Thank you and everyone else in this thread who lent their help :)
1. It should be ok but if you want you can do 50% for a few times and then go up to 75%

2. Yes

3. Internal issues probably

I would stick to your 20-30% regime. Your white cloud died from old age, no amount of water changes would have reversed that process. The amount and frequency of water changes being advised seems way over the top to me.

I have to disagree. If you only do a 20% water change then you are leaving 80% of the filth and gunk in the tank. Thatā€™s perfect breeding grounds for bad bacteria and disease.

I have to disagree. If you only do a 20% water change then you are leaving 80% of the filth and gunk in the tank. Thatā€™s perfect breeding grounds for bad bacteria and disease.
Agree it it would become more concentrated over time since most of it is not being removed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back