Help w/ oscar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

donnabelll

Reaction score
I have an oscar that tried to eat a columbian shark today and we had to intervine because one of the barbs was sticking thru his bottom jaw. So, we cut the barb and removed the shark but the oscars mouth is wide open and wont close any chance that it is dislocated or that it will fix its self.......Please help.....

PS
Not sure how to use this board could you please E Mail me at [email protected]

i think you need a vet this sounds like the jaw has popped or locked. or possibly that some of the spine is still caught in the ribs of the mouth part. it definately sounds like it needs a vet to me.

If the Oscar is very big, why dont you try to open its mouth and see, and try with a pinze for eyebrow to take out the barb.. that's what i would do..
Please keep post with news..

cichlids very often will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. you have to be careful not only to damage their mouths but their throats also when pulling out fish. especially with the larger cichlids. the larger cichlids can "chew" or grind up food in their throats. have to find the article on it.

don't know if a vet would help a fish. may have to ask a local university if they have a marine biology department that could help you out. would put some antibiotics in the water to be on the safe side for the barb that you siad you pulled out of his mouth.

semper fi

Hi donnabelll

It sounds like the oscar has something stuck in it mouth. Try what Mmarch has suggested. Use a wet towel to hold the fish when you do this. It could have been trying to spit out the shark, when it got caught.

Oscars tend to be a bit stupid when it comes to eating tank mates. I feed mine on poor quality angel fish, some times they try to eat them backwards, and they take about half an hour to get them down their throats. You can see the angel fish’s fins sticking out of there mouths, bent backwards.

Thanks for all the help. The oscar is doing much better now. He closed his mouth about 4 hours after the shark was removed and did eat some flake food. The funny thing is he hid at first when we were trying to look at him to check him out but now today he comes up to the side of the tank and i swear hes showing off his wound its the craziest thing ive ever seen

meh who cares about a shark when you have an injured oscar... -_- heh only kidding cfc glad to hear that no damage was done

Grrrr someones looking for a fight :lol: :lol: :lol: :fun: :hyper:

only joking in case anyone takes me seriously :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back