Help, Unwell Platy With Internal Parasites?

NewbeeTanker

Reaction score
I have a platy who looked stressed for a few days (fins clamped), delivered some fry, then looked even worse after. It became skinny, hunched, uninterested in food, started hiding, and is now being nipped by the other fish.

I showed a video of the fish to a fish store who tested my water again, said it looked all good, but gave me some internal parasite medication. I'll try attach a picture of it (and the fish). I dosed the tank last night and now all the fish are becoming swollen bellied :/. I'm worried about them all and don't want to loose them. My kids will be upset by it.

My tank did have a nitrite problem about 2weeks prior, and I added some salts to settle it. I feel like I've bounced from one problem to the next.

Speaking of bounced, my fish have all been bumping off of objects in the tank. I originally took this for them having fry all the time, but it was what made the guy at the fish store decide on internal parasites.

My tank is only a 28l with 3 platies, 1 molly, 1 guppy, and a pleco. Along with any surviving fry hidden in there. I know this tank is too small, we have a new, larger, tank being cycled but it has some fry in there who I also think have internal parasites. Because the largest one also bumps off of things.

Is this belly swelling from medication normal or do I now have another issue with my fish? Any help would be great, cheers.

The distended abdomen and the fact that your fish seem "clumsy" make me think of swim bladder disease, though I've never seen it in so many fish at the same time. Could be a parasite also, but if so, it would have to affect either the swim bladder or brain to cause those problems. If swim bladder disease, you could try raising your tank temp to about 82 degrees Fahrenheit and fasting them for a couple days. If that doesn't help, they'll likely have to be euthanized, sorry.  Your small tank size may also be part of the problem. 29L corresponds to about 8.5G if I'm converting correctly. A pretty small tank for more than a couple fish.

Thanks for the reply :). I'm treating both of my tanks with the internal parasite medication, and I'll feed them less often as w'll, just in case. The temperature of the tank is already 27degrees Celsius (83F) due to the hot wave we're getting out here in Australia at the moment. As soon as the other big tank is ready, I'll be moving the poor things. When we bought the little 28L the store person told us we could put ten livebearers in it. We got to six and thought... no that's not right. Looked up the information and saw the error :/. Hopefully they will all pull through to get to the bigger tank. Fingers crossed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back