Help trouble after changing my water and cleaning tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just did 2nd 50% water change of the day still got some ammonia between 0.5 ppm and 1.0 ppm its a bittttt lighter than last night. I was told at the fishshop that the live cold bacteria i bought will clear out the ammonia in 24-48 hours this was one i got. I want to add that i separated some water in a bag and dechlorinated it with the conditioner and since i put my angel in there meanwhile tank cleans etc she looks so much better, i really think shes going to be make it, she was breathing all crazy in the tank now shes relaxed swimming in the bag.

View attachment 109810

View attachment 109813

View attachment 109814
I've never seen this brand of bottled bacteria. No idea if it's good or not

Just did 2nd 50% water change of the day still got some ammonia between 0.5 ppm and 1.0 ppm its a bittttt lighter than last night. I was told at the fishshop that the live cold bacteria i bought will clear out the ammonia in 24-48 hours this was one i got. I want to add that i separated some water in a bag and dechlorinated it with the conditioner and since i put my angel in there meanwhile tank cleans etc she looks so much better, i really think shes going to be make it, she was breathing all crazy in the tank now shes relaxed swimming in the bag.

View attachment 109810

View attachment 109813

View attachment 109814
That looks like a good brand. After doing some research, I see it has a 4.3 out of 5 start rating, which is good.

That looks like a good brand. After doing some research, I see it has a 4.3 out of 5 start rating, which is good.
Thank you all again so much, so i put her back in the tank and though she doesn't look distressed shes still swimming to the top and then comes down a bit and swims then goes back to the surface again... =\ im not sure why but i was thinking of maybe getting an air stone? every water test has been good minus the ammonia thats a little up so im just wondering what it could be....

Thank you all again so much, so i put her back in the tank and though she doesn't look distressed shes still swimming to the top and then comes down a bit and swims then goes back to the surface again... =\ im not sure why but i was thinking of maybe getting an air stone? every water test has been good minus the ammonia thats a little up so im just wondering what it could be....
I forgot, what kind of filter do you?

Does the filter seem to be moving the surface of the water a lot?

Im using a Aqueon 75, im happy to report she is soooo much better than before not even going up, clear difference when i installed this aquaflow sponge filter with Aquator Breza air pump. The ammonia has dropped even more to between 0.25-0.5 now vs 1.0 water looks way better with this Prime concentrated (seachem) conditioner vs the aqueon one i was using. I get the feeling that it wasn't the ammonia that killed them all that way but rather the harsh water condition from cleaning the tank before? and ive added bacteria to it as well now so i dunno what do you guys think? you all are the wonderful experts that have been so great so grateful to you guys.

1594682198804.png

1594682247860.png

Last edited:
Keep doing the water changes.
Do not clean your filter at all never ever...not until its plugged up or falling apart.
Just change the water.
Do big changes and get ammonia down too .25-0
That is acceptable in my opinion.
.25 will cause a little stress but better than 2.0 where you are at.

Keep doing the water changes.
Do not clean your filter at all never ever...not until its plugged up or falling apart.
Just change the water.
Do big changes and get ammonia down too .25-0
That is acceptable in my opinion.
.25 will cause a little stress but better than 2.0 where you are at.
Thank you! Once i finally get the ammonia down to that would it be safe to add more fish? when exactly should i add more fish?

Thank you! Once i finally get the ammonia down to that would it be safe to add more fish? when exactly should i add more fish?
No, leave your angel and that's it.
Do not start adding more fish until you see nitrates,and even at that point I would only add 1 at a time as you will not have an established cycle.
The more bio load you have aka fish and poop. The more the levels will fluctuate until it reaches a happy spot in the stock and filter seeding.
Be patient I promise it will be well worth it in the long run.

I would suggest adding a few more plants and a background for the tank. Once the tank settles down and cycles then you can safely add fish

Ok, So ammonia and nitrites will become present.
Ammonia first nitrite shortly after...once those two are both present awhile after that nitrates are present...thats what your looking for.
For now keep doing water changes especially when you see nitrites since you are fish in cycle you do not want the angel to die...water changes knock down the ammonia and nitrite as the tank establishes nitrates come and ammonia and nitrite go to 0 ....nitrates rise and anything over 40ppm is no bueno so hence again water changes ....whenever, Regardless of how old or established a tank is if ammonia and nitrites are there water changes..basically water changes water changes....water changes lol

Ok, So ammonia and nitrites will become present.
Ammonia first nitrite shortly after...once those two are both present awhile after that nitrates are present...thats what your looking for.
For now keep doing water changes especially when you see nitrites since you are fish in cycle you do not want the angel to die...water changes knock down the ammonia and nitrite as the tank establishes nitrates come and ammonia and nitrite go to 0 ....nitrates rise and anything over 40ppm is no bueno so hence again water changes ....whenever, Regardless of how old or established a tank is if ammonia and nitrites are there water changes..basically water changes water changes....water changes lol
So from here on out the water changes i do in this phase of my cycle that i am currently in should be what 25% from here on out, any specific % on my 55 gallon with my one lonely angelfish? Lol :)

Also be sure the water you are adding is close to the same temperature as the remaining tank water.

Once the filter has been running for at least 6 weeks it should be cleaned regularly - once a month at the minimum. The brown goo that builds up on the media is decomposing organic matter which is broken down and ends up as nitrate in the water. We need to keep the nitrate level below 20 ppm and this can be a problem if there's a lot being made in the tank.

Clean the media by squeezing sponges or swooshing other types in the water you take out during a water change.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back