HELP! Tetra Trouble!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
This is my first time posting here because I am genuinely stumped. One of my longfin serpae tetras got herself stuck between a decoration and the side of the tank. After I freed her, I noticed she had rubbed off the entire right side of her scales. Later I noticed she wasn't moving much, and I have assassin snails so I didn't want her to get eaten - I made a nursery on the side of the tank for her to be isolated. She was doing better in there. The next morning, she appeared to have swim bladder symptoms. She is floating at the top on her side, however she is still breathing and when I nudged her to make sure she was alive, she swam around on her side a bit. She can't stay upright and she won't use her left fin. I'm very confused because swim bladder is usually a digestive compaction issue - does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do?

This is my first time posting here because I am genuinely stumped. One of my longfin serpae tetras got herself stuck between a decoration and the side of the tank. After I freed her, I noticed she had rubbed off the entire right side of her scales. Later I noticed she wasn't moving much, and I have assassin snails so I didn't want her to get eaten - I made a nursery on the side of the tank for her to be isolated. She was doing better in there. The next morning, she appeared to have swim bladder symptoms. She is floating at the top on her side, however she is still breathing and when I nudged her to make sure she was alive, she swam around on her side a bit. She can't stay upright and she won't use her left fin. I'm very confused because swim bladder is usually a digestive compaction issue - does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do?
I am very new to the hobby but I think maybe @Colin_T will be able to help you

I wish I could say something good, but from what you describe and it does sound bad but my normal routine of Epsom salt baths seems kind of risky with the injury. I've always had really good luck treating dropsy, but I don't feel that is the problem with your Serpae I'm inclined to think this is more the fish showing reaction to the shock and stress of the terrible injury and perhaps the immediate attack of some opportunistic bacteria or parasite. Do you have any idea how long she was trapped and most likely struggling to free herself?

I wish I could say something good, but from what you describe and it does sound bad but my normal routine of Epsom salt baths seems kind of risky with the injury. I've always had really good luck treating dropsy, but I don't feel that is the problem with your Serpae I'm inclined to think this is more the fish showing reaction to the shock and stress of the terrible injury and perhaps the immediate attack of some opportunistic bacteria or parasite. Do you have any idea how long she was trapped and most likely struggling to free herself?
I don't know how long she was trapped, but I'd assume a few hours at the least. It was definitely less than 24h though

She can't stay upright and she won't use her left fin. I'm very confused because swim bladder is usually a digestive compaction issue - does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do?

The swim bladder is an organ, it can get damaged in a situation like this, just like she might have sustained any other type of internal injuries from being trapped in a small space.

I don't think there is a great deal you can do for her at this point except try to keep the water as clean as possible with daily water changes, keep stress to a minimum, and give her time to see if she can recover. I'm sorry about your fish
:(

The swim bladder is an organ, it can get damaged in a situation like this, just like she might have sustained any other type of internal injuries from being trapped in a small space.

I don't think there is a great deal you can do for her at this point except try to keep the water as clean as possible with daily water changes, keep stress to a minimum, and give her time to see if she can recover. I'm sorry about your fish
:(
I'll try whatever I can! Maybe she'll recover over time

Has there been any sign of anything but decline in her condition since she was released? If not you might try the Epsom salt bath then Stress Guard for the antiseptic properties but to be honest I think I would quickly stop the pain, shock, stress...and humanely euthanize the fish. I know it sounds like giving up before even trying but with that much scale damage she is open to every bacteria, virus, and parasite that may live in your tank and continue to suffer.
So sorry my opinion is so blessed. Personally, I'm grateful we pet lovers of all pets have the ability to "help" our pets and stop the suffering when treatment is so unlikely to do more than extend the suffering. I hope this can bring you at least a little peace and again I am so sorry for you and your pet. I'll be thinking of you.

UPDATE: unfortunately she didn't make it. I'm still not sure what was wrong with her, but at least she's not suffering anymore

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back