Help starting my shrimp 20 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, Iā€™ve decided to move my ten cherry shrimps into my spare 20 gallon so that they can feel completely safe and just have a huge unusued tank for themselves which hopefully shouldnā€™t be too much to deal with for me in terms of constant maintenance. I was wondering what filtering I should use. Iā€™ve got a fluval hang on back made for a 20 gallon but feel this could simply be overkill but donā€™t know if anyoneā€™s got any better solution. Got lots of java moss coming for the cherry shrimp and am currently cycling the tank before moving them in. How much water changes should I do a month? What filtering should I use? Any help will be really appreciated

I would recommend you using a sponge filter as it provides a slow current and your shrimp could pick on the sponge.
After you cycle the tank, do about 50% water changes weekly.

I would recommend you using a sponge filter as it provides a slow current and your shrimp could pick on the sponge.
After you cycle the tank, do about 50% water changes weekly.
50% weekly changes for 10 shrimp? Are you sure feels a bit overkill

Do 65% every other week for just shrimp :)

Part of the reason for doing water changes regularly even when not removing ammonia and waste is to replenish the microscopic nutrients and minerals In the water that the fish use up in between changes

Part of the reason for doing water changes regularly even when not removing ammonia and waste is to replenish the microscopic nutrients and minerals In the water that the fish use up in between changes
Okay perf thank you. Also how long does it take for them to breed usually? Donā€™t know if this is something youā€™ve ever done before

Saw someone else doing this so seems quite popular ! Iā€™m
Wondering what should I feed them as they are so small

Flakes is fine. Algae wafers are also fine. There are also special shrimp pellets
This may sound stupid but would you only keep one colour? I was considering yellow and red hoping the offspring would sometimes be orange sure it would end up being brown tho

Not stupid at all, if your are looking to breed a certain color shrimp. I only have ghost shrimp but have been looking at others. From what I read if you have several different color shrimp you may end up with brown as the dominate color.

Not stupid at all, if your are looking to breed a certain color shrimp. I only have ghost shrimp but have been looking at others. From what I read if you have several different color shrimp you may end up with brown as the dominate color.
Yeah, Iā€™ve learnt about genetics a bit so understand roughly the likelihood of brown shrimp. Hopefully with reds and yellow the predominant will be orange/ reds and yellow. I may give it a go! Nothing wrong w brown shrimp just not the best looking

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back