HELP! Puffer's fin! Advice Needed immediately!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PufferLover1

Reaction score
I went out, and when I came back my family was gathered around their computers and my fish tank. My puffer was in the back of the tank, in the corner curled up. They are familiar with the feeding process and attempted to feed him. I was able to lure him back up and get a closer look. There's something wrong with his fin. My father thinks it's Ich or a parasite. Please help, I'm so scared for my puffer.

Salinity: 1.005
Amonia: 0.2
I saw the ammonia and freaked during my test. Now doing a water change.
Last water change: not ever, just got him a week ago. Was going to go to a water change this weekend.
Ph: When last checked a week ago 8

AM-JKLVcQwakKAsDkEbRrV0EVZCtiQpZeJ2WzqwYfXa6GfOYsm9MEPFkc2rlgPO4epvx-I4v-_9d8gi-gmffj0RV0Zn5dR4ffLIhAf0ZUMhywyYNFzroMxbp1xLz5Kgz8N4QI3pkPtVVUXegSfEBI55lIMbNJA=w705-h939-no

I don’t know the answer, but I know those that can will ask for photos or video…

As you can see, the one fin is very inflamed. We just called the store that sold him to us and they thought it was early ich but were reluctant to give us medicine because it's hard to take so if they are wrong, it could kill the fish. What do you guys think? Ich? Or parasite? Or they also mentioned it could be a bruise?? My filter could be too strong. Please help. Very scared

What are you actually concerned about?
Describe the problem and where it is.

Ok. He was curled up in the back of the tank during the middle of the day, so I immediately was worried. I then lured him up with food to get a good look. His one fin appears to be white and splotchy. As you can see in the picture (it sorta looks like the lighting), it looks very different than the other fin. I will try to upload another. But For the first 10 minutes, he wasn't using the puffy white fin after I got him up. He basically hobbled around with the other ones. Then he started using it again. But if I get a clear picture you see that the two fins look very different. I was narrowing down to bruise, ich (there's one white spot? Maybe early ich?), and I suppose parasite???

(If you look at the uploaded picture you can see that on the left side the fin is very clear and all-white looking. The other is perfectly transulsent. This is not lighting.)

Bruising on fish usually appears as black patches.

White can be from excess mucous or fungus. Fungus on fish is usually white and fluffy, whereas excess mucous is smooth and flat and looks like a cream or white film over the fish.

-------------------
Have you checked the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH today?

Maybe do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

I went out, and when I came back my family was gathered around their computers and my fish tank. My puffer was in the back of the tank, in the corner curled up. They are familiar with the feeding process and attempted to feed him. I was able to lure him back up and get a closer look. There's something wrong with his fin. My father thinks it's Ich or a parasite. Please help, I'm so scared for my puffer.

Salinity: 1.005
Amonia: 0.2
I saw the ammonia and freaked during my test. Now doing a water change.
Last water change: not ever, just got him a week ago. Was going to go to a water change this weekend.
Ph: When last checked a week ago 8

AM-JKLVcQwakKAsDkEbRrV0EVZCtiQpZeJ2WzqwYfXa6GfOYsm9MEPFkc2rlgPO4epvx-I4v-_9d8gi-gmffj0RV0Zn5dR4ffLIhAf0ZUMhywyYNFzroMxbp1xLz5Kgz8N4QI3pkPtVVUXegSfEBI55lIMbNJA=w705-h939-no
Bonjour and excuse me but I believe you are making a big mistake when you are keeping this fish in salty water because Tetraodon palembangensis is known as one of the few tetraodon-spezies which likes pure fresh water without salt at all, recommend you to change this, sorry but i must say it shouldn't be fine for the puffer having to live with these real strange looking plastic pflanzts, excuse me again, i must think at the poor fish.

As for the infected fin it looks to me like a bacteria and / or fungus infection, Tetraodon is very sensible to medicaments and chemistry and so on (die fast).

Bonjour and excuse me but I believe you are making a big mistake when you are keeping this fish in salty water because Tetraodon palembangensis is known as one of the few tetraodon-spezies which likes pure fresh water without salt at all, recommend you to change this, sorry but i must say it shouldn't be fine for the puffer having to live with these real strange looking plastic pflanzts, excuse me again, i must think at the poor fish.
Hello--- My puffer is not Tetraodon palembangensis, it is Dichotomyctere ocellatus. Does diagnosis change? I have 5 real plants and these two large fake plants. I am doing my best to give this puffer the best life it can have. If you have recommendations I am open to them

Bruising on fish usually appears as black patches.

White can be from excess mucous or fungus. Fungus on fish is usually white and fluffy, whereas excess mucous is smooth and flat and looks like a cream or white film over the fish.

-------------------
Have you checked the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH today?

Maybe do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.
Unfortunately, I have not. Though I do believe I have found the source of the problem. I had to go to school today, and so my mom took a video of my puffer and showed to the people who sold him to us. The water was tested and apparently our ammonia is high, which is causes something that is "burning' like according to the workers. We will be doing water changes very very frequently. Your instructions are very, very helpful.

I had no idea but the puffer changed its name, the fish in the photo was called earlier T. palembangensis and you would better stop adding any salt in your aquarium water (he likes soft-acid water too), as Collin said the most important is you keep the water clean (and every thing, don't forget nitrates).

Are you saying this fish is a Dragon puffer?? Because I can clearly see the figure eight on his head, which I was pretty sure was the telltale sign of figure eight puffers. But please do correct me if I am wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back