What's new

Help please.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
Please don't use the algaefix when there are fish in a tank. Anything which kills algae won't be good for fish.
Thank you. When should I use it? What I did was almost 50% water change but kept the clean water in the buckets and added the water conditioners and algae cleaner to it.
how should I have used it?

Thank you. When should I use it? What I did was almost 50% water change but kept the clean water in the buckets and added the water conditioners and algae cleaner to it.
how should I have used it?
Until we get a good read on your water params, I wouldn't use it at all...the more chemicals in a tank, the more we complicate things...there are much easier and safer ways to control algae

Until we get a good read on your water params, I wouldn't use it at all...the more chemicals in a tank, the more we complicate things...there are much easier and safer ways to control algae
Oh no!!!!!! I went to the store and bought it today. I added to the water before putting in the tank 😢. I cleaned lots of gunk from under the rocks. Also cleaned all the decorations. I added a few other live plants. Did not change the filter. My danios seem to be acting weird. They are at the bottom of the tank which is very unusual 😢😢😢😢

Attachments

• BF480012-7275-4A83-8D72-34C1F1DF4490.jpeg
    BF480012-7275-4A83-8D72-34C1F1DF4490.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 71
  • E1A28B56-1C77-45CF-BC5D-712283FA2D7A.jpeg
    E1A28B56-1C77-45CF-BC5D-712283FA2D7A.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 73
Oh no!!!!!! I went to the store and bought it today. I added to the water before putting in the tank 😢. I cleaned lots of gunk from under the rocks. Also cleaned all the decorations. I added a few other live plants. Did not change the filter. My danios seem to be acting weird. They are at the bottom of the tank which is very unusual 😢😢😢😢
I tested the water and it’s not much different from what it was before the water change. I am still looking for the liquid testing kit but cannot find on line.

I bought my testkit from amazon ages ago - but i wish i hadn't as I'd rather support the LFS. Not only do they seem to know their stuff, but if they don't make money there will be no LFS for me to daydream about tanks I don't have yet.

As an aside... I would have thought I'd hate the fluorescent decor.... but I kind of like it.... a few floating plants maybe.... and a few live plant stems in between the garish plastic plants you might get best of both worlds.

About algae, my tank was mostly black beard at one point, but after I bought more plants and started using flourish excel it seemed to die off.... my assumption was the plants out competed the algae and starved it of other nutrients. I realise some people believe liquid carbon is toxic to fish, I think it is probably at too high a dilution to be an issue. That said I am considering looking into adding CO2 from a cannister to have the same effect.... but again that brings with it issues of harming the fish and filter bacteria with a reduced pH.

If your algae is not black beard some snails, shrimps or Otos might keep it down, but before considering any biological or chemical controls make sure water is good.

The advantage of a testkit at home is you can test everyday to immediately see if what you did yesterday had a bad or good effect. Eventually things will settle down, you will test less and less eventually never even.

Lastly don't get hung up on algae. A healthy tank has algae. I used to watch a lot of Rachel O 'Leary on youtube.... some of her tanks algae free, some need constant physical removal... some she just accepts as part of the tank balance and lets be. One tank developed thick green fur over all the caves and botanicals; she decided it was a pretty and her fish seemed to enjoy it so she left it. My point is the only problem with any kind of algae is that it makes the tank look crap - sometimes we can work around that. I only bother clean glass for example if its glass I look through. I also read somewhere that even mulm is good for the tank - it's where by definition the beneficial fauna are living. Not certain i completely agree there ofc.... every lump of smelly gunk sucked off of sand or rinsed off of filter media is a lump of nitrogen being exported from the system after all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NCI/?tag=ff0d01-20

Do another WC, be sure to match the tap temp to the tank temp, and treat with enough Prime for the entire tank amount (1 ml/10G)...return that algae stuff, or throw it away.

The stores will try to sell you ALL kinds of stuff you don't need, this is one exmple
Thank you. I clicked the link you sent and got it on Amazon. The fish are all coming together as they all were. They seem fine. The water is so much cleaner. I used my strips and tested the water, including ammonia. All looks good. Praying they fish will remain happy!!

Attachments

• 41F25039-110B-4E05-B4DC-71540F563FE8.jpeg
    41F25039-110B-4E05-B4DC-71540F563FE8.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 63
  • D2B3BA31-B42A-484A-BBDC-EDDDE8B19C92.jpeg
    D2B3BA31-B42A-484A-BBDC-EDDDE8B19C92.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 05D405A0-33F2-4115-999D-B3B40761172B.jpeg
    05D405A0-33F2-4115-999D-B3B40761172B.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 62
Thank you. I clicked the link you sent and got it on Amazon. The fish are all coming together as they all were. They seem fine. The water is so much cleaner. I used my strips and tested the water, including ammonia. All looks good. Praying they fish will remain happy!!
👍

The algae is just brown algae and is growing due to the newish tank, light and not many if any live plants in the tank to use the light. It's not a problem and reducing the lighting time will fix it.

Try not to add chemicals, algicides or anything to the tank unless you absolutely have to. Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality and a big water change and gravel clean will help a lot of these problems. Algicides will also kill higher plants as well as algae so try to avoid using it. You can control algae by controlling the light and nutrients, and adding live plants if you want some.

The test results from the pet shop show
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
GH (general hardness) 75ppm soft water
Chlorine 0ppm, it should always be 0
Total Alkalinity (KH - carbonate hardness) 180ppm
pH 7.8

You have soft water with a high KH and pH, and no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, which means the filter is working properly.

Feed every other day, the amount the fish can eat in about 5 minutes, with no leftovers.

That glo shark is actually a rainbow shark, they can get up to 6" in length, and become aggressive as they get older...not the best community fish, and not really one of the best for beginners

See "Behavior and Compatibility" here: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-frenatum
He’s doing great while he’s still small. I am sure he will need to be moved as he gets bigger. The 6 glo tetras stay above his bottom dwelling and the 3 glo danios are always at the very top. They all feed and eat together and there have been no issue so far. Thankfully

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back