Help please.. filter airlock

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tishman

Reaction score
I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I have a jewel vision 180 with its inbuilt filter unit.

when running my pump my filter seems to be getting an airlock in it. If I turn off the power to my pump large bubbles come out the top of my filter unit. I have dismantled it and put it back together and the same with the pump. The pump works fine in a bucket of water and is fully submerged when in the tank and the filter is also fully submerged.

I am worried that the airlock will stop the pump from circulating water if left to long with the air in the filter but I can’t figure out where the airlock is coming from.. please help as I am all out of ideas and can’t figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi thanks, yes I have searched everywhere I can think of and been in touch with Jewel as well but they weren’t very helpful.. I could understand it if it was an external filter but it’s confusing as it’s in built.

I used to have Rio 125 which has the same style filter. I have to say that mine didn't have this problem but it was so noisy it kept me awake in the room above the tank.
Knowing what this filter is like, i can't work out how air is getting in there. You do have the water level up to the line inside the tank?

This is the filter, if anyone can work out the problem
It is attached to the glass with blobs of silicone and the water level is above the top of the filter so it is totally under water. But because it's stuck to the glass, it cannot be tilted.

I used to have Rio 125 which has the same style filter. I have to say that mine didn't have this problem but it was so noisy it kept me awake in the room above the tank.
Knowing what this filter is like, i can't work out how air is getting in there. You do have the water level up to the line inside the tank?

This is the filter, if anyone can work out the problem
It is attached to the glass with blobs of silicone and the water level is above the top of the filter so it is totally under water. But because it's stuck to the glass, it cannot be tilted.

Hi yes and I have topped up the water level a slight bit over the max fill line just to ensure my pump is fully submerged just incase some air was sneaking in but it is still the same. The block of filter medium is a good 7cm below the top of the water level in the housing.

That's so weird.
I'm sorry I can't help much, I will look into it more and will say if I find out anything else... :)

Thank you I do appreciate the help.. there has to be a reason for it but figuring it out is tricky

Do you think the actual filter is faulty? Or is it just operator error?

If you think it is faulty, try contacting the manufacturer. If that model had a warranty when you got it, you may be entitled to a refund or an exchange.

The trouble with Juwel is that you'd have to get a whole new tank. Removing the filter is not a simple matter as you have to saw through 8 blobs of silicone to get it out. I know, I did it with my old tank. It's very firmly attached to the glass.

I have contacted them but I can’t understand how a filter that is submerged can get air in it.. it is under warranty still but wanted to try to see if I could find a fix with out having to return things to them.

If I remember correctly, removing the filter from the tank wall invalidates the whole warranty, that's why we were always warned to think twice about changing the filter for a different make. So returning the filter means returning the entire tank.

The alternative would be to remove the filter and get a different one. That's what I did to stop the noise. But that's more expense.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back