help: plant problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

purple_drazi

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm losing a number of the smaller, shorter leaves on both of the anubias plants, they have gone skeletal like this but the roots look healthy. (pic size is 84k)
My Webpage

The Windelov has got brown spots and the roots are brown and look dead. (pic size is 138k)
My Webpage

The Tropica Crypt looks mostly ok but I can see that an underside leaf is turning yellow.
otoh, The ambulia is going great guns. :)

Is this light or nutrients? I've got an eclipse twelve gallon. It's got a natural daylight full spectrum fluorescent 13 watt lamp which I know is kind of minimal but I was hoping that the plants I chose would tolerate the lower light level.

I'm doing a fishless cycle. Ammonia is .5-1ppm and the Nitrite level is 2.0ppm.

Sorry about the size of the pics, it was hard to get enough detail so that you can see the problem but to keep the size managable but I put them as links so that people don't have to wait for them to download if they don't want.

I wish I could be of more help. Of all the plants that I've grown, including the ones with specific requirements, the only plants I've had a real problem with are anubias! They grow well in my 10 gallon, but they receive minimal light in that tank. There are plenty of less expensive, more appealing plants available to me! Yes, I can be very lazy! :p

Good luck.

Remove the damaged leaves when possible. You are right that you are on the lower scale when it comes to light. You may be just finding out what plants can do well in those levels and which ones can't. There are some great lists out there on the web of plants that do very well in lower light - perhaps this topic is in one of the pinned topics in this forum. 80 degrees is also at the top side for temp for some plants so that could be a factor as well...
best of luck with them - the planted tank can be as rewarding as the successful reef tank!

ALASKA

I just did a kh & gh test and discovered that the kh = 53.7ppm and the gh = 179pm. the test kit says that live plants prefer 0-100ppm.

Could that be what is damaging my plants? :(

I told my lfs that I was hoping to put cardinals in my tank and they suggested I use peat moss to adjust the water. I hadn't done it yet because I'm still cycling and I thought, a long way away from needing to do that.

If I put the peat moss pillow in will it help the plants?

(LATER)
I just called my lfs and the guy (who knows his stuff - I really like him!) told me that it's not light, and it's not the hardness of the water, it's an iron deficiency. He described the way the leaves look to me almost exactly!
I need something called tropica mastergrow.

ok! trip to the fish store coming up. :D :D :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back