Help My Guppies Are Dying

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

do large water changes
it would be nice if you could lower the stocking as 75 platies/guppies seems like a bit much
add lots of plants like java moss and hornwort
add seachem prime

come to http://cbe001.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.oftc.net&channel=%23fishforums we will explain everything you need to know. This is the TFF chat.

If your ammonia is 4.0ppm you need to do a 75% water change to bring it down to 1.0ppm. A second 75% water change immediately after that will bring it down to 0.25ppm. That is where you want to try to keep it. If you have any doubt about that large of a water change causing issues I will be more than happy to do the same on any of my 20some running tanks, though the 150 gallon tubs will take a bit more time than immediate due to my water heater catching up. I have four 40 gallon tanks running on tap water ATM, close enough to 45, pick one & I'll have at it.

Fish do not get used to ammonia any more than you would get used to levels of carbon monoxide in the air you breathe. As far as changing charcoal, you don't need to run that unless you are removing medications from the water, use that space for more bio media.

Ok will get plants tomorrow and do the large water change my filter is the older type with two charcoal pkts, what should I put in those spots that would fit Tyou all think I understand what to do now. lfs has no more room so unless someone on here wants to run over and take 25 or so platties, I am stuck with 75. you are all wonderful, thankyou
carol :wub:

I feel awful that we seem to have added to your confusion.

I hope that the voice of majority will guide your way! Also, some very knowledgeable people have taken notice of your thread, you are now in good hands! :good:

This is completely random but may mean that we have further ideas to help

Have you tested a baseline ammonia reading from the tap?
Do you know whether the water board uses chlorine or chloramine as disinfectant?
What dechlorinator do you use?

Hello ty for your reply but I have followed one of the members suggestions and think all may be ok now. tap water tested 0 for amonia. don't know ans to second question I have started using prime as a declorinator ty for your interest carol

Prime should make your fish feel a little better since it locks up ammonia for awhile giving them a break...then with your water changes lowering ammonia, I think you will notice a difference. I hope you don't lose anymore fish. Goodluck!

ps: Just to add to everyone else's statements! Water Changes are way better then letting your fish sit in poison. Sorry you had so many opinions thrown at you. This was definitely the majority vote. :good:

That while is very short FishFanatic04. Anything more than about a day is a waste of perfectly good dechlorinator. A water change to reduce the concentration of ammonia is an absolute must.

I meant that WITH the water changes...instead of another type of dechlorinator. I didn't mean to throw Prime in to lock up the ammonia, without doing a water change too.

Here is an update, changed water by at least 1/3 till last fri, also did 1 75 per cent change by tuesday last week water was still at 4.0 ammonia I also purchased a new filter, put old media in one chamber new in other, fri I quit doing water changes. today ammonia is still 4.0 but I haven't lost any more fish . gonna chane 1/3 of water again tomorrow, here is a pic of the tank. ty all for your help

Attachments

• fish5 006.JPG
    fish5 006.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 86
  • fish5 007.JPG
    fish5 007.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 116
That tank is very overpopulated especially for one that has not finished its cycle. Water changes are a must do, not an option, when you have high ammonia levels.

changing daily did not cure the problem, so am giving it a chance to settle down, how long before I have bacteria ?

I think you should bring a sample of your tank water to your LFS to test for ammonia. That your tests always read 4 ppm Ammonia does not sound right, especially after a 75% water change! Maybe there is something wrong with your test kit!?

What is your ph in your tank now? A very low ph can stall a cycle, where your filter is unable to establish the bacteria that converts the ammonia into nitrItes.

If in fact you do have ammonia at those levels "giving your tank a chance to settle down" will cause your fish to die of ammonia poisoning!

That tank will settle down after all of the fish die if you refuse to try to keep up with the water changes. Don't mess about with tiny 30% changes. It takes huge water changes to actually improve water quality very much.
It often can take over 6 weeks to cycle a tank.

Most reactions

Back