What's new

Help my fish is sick!!!

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Jimmy chung

Reaction score
My gold severum is sick! What should I do? He only sits by the heater and is very rough looking.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I agree that's not a healthy fish, but don't think any member can help with the info provided.
A nice tank though.

Did you cycle your aquarium? What are the parameters?
@Jimmy chung : What @NearMeBettas is asking is for test results on the water such as PH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

For myself I suspect that the fish is not ill but being bullied and attacked by another fish. To me some of the fin damage just looks like attacks.

It looks like he's getting beaten up. I see the back of what may be a Malawi in there. Please list the species and numbers in there so we can look at it.

It looks like he's getting beaten up. I see the back of what may be a Malawi in there. Please list the species and numbers in there so we can look at it.
Zebra Obliquindens
Jack dempsey
4 buenos aries tetras
Convict cichlid
A catfish and pleco
Temp is about 80 degrees and im not athome so I don’t rember exactly what the water permitters are. What is ideal for my fish. Also I’m getting rid of the lake Malawi cichlid so he’s gonna be gone.

Zebra Obliquindens
Jack dempsey
4 buenos aries tetras
Convict cichlid
A catfish and pleco
Temp is about 80 degrees and im not athome so I don’t rember exactly what the water permitters are. What is ideal for my fish. Also I’m getting rid of the lake Malawi cichlid so he’s gonna be gone.
Parameters*

Well it’s a fairly new tank but I added bacteria for new tanks. Cycled for like 2 weeks.
An aquarium without fish takes an average of 6 to 8 weeks to fully cycle, whereas one with fish takes an average of 8 to 14 weeks to cycle.

The water chemistry in numbers is essential to see what stage you are at in the cycle bearing in mind you have very specific fish in a large number in a partially cycled aquarium.

You might well end up losing them all.

An aquarium without fish takes an average of 6 to 8 weeks to fully cycle, whereas one with fish takes an average of 8 to 14 weeks to cycle.

The water chemistry in numbers is essential to see what stage you are at in the cycle bearing in mind you have very specific fish in a large number in a partially cycled aquarium.

You might well end up losing them all.
I have had the tank for like 4 months but I waited two weeks before adding fish

I have had the tank for like 4 months but I waited two weeks before adding fish
You need to get the water tested. It is an essential part of cycling otherwise you will not have a clue how far along the process you are or whether the aquarium is actually ready for fish. Fishkeeping cannot be done on guesswork alone (I wish it was)

Can you get the water tested today please and post the results in numbers on this thread, then we can guide you on the next step to take....fish get ill if in an unsuitable aquarium water chemistry, you stated you have illness...so knowing the water chemistry is the first and most important step

I don't think the water test has anything to do with what you are seeing. It's essential to cycle a tank, but you have a nightmare collection in there.
I've kept Cichlids for most of my adult life. If I rank general aggression from worst to least, I would start at the top with Lake Victoria Cichlids
A notch down, Lake Malawi
Then Tanganyika
West Africa - larger Cichlids,
Central and North America
Central African
Asian
larger South American
smaller South American
smaller West African

So if we apply that to the fish you bought: the zebra obliquidens is a Victorian. 10 points aggro. Jack Dempseys are central American, and named after a famous boxer (a clue there, give them a 7). Convicts are also central American, and named "convicts", not just for their stripes (make it a 6). And a severum is a relatively mild mannered larger South American (a 2 or 3). It's doomed in there, and would be doomed with a pristine, cycled tank.

You need to decide what level of aggression you can handle, and stick to Cichlids from one region. You do seem drawn to Central and North America there.

Btw - when a Cichlid goes to the top corner, it means it knows it has to escape or die, and it has nowhere to go. When they try to hide by the heater, they are terrified.

I don't think the water test has anything to do with what you are seeing. It's essential to cycle a tank, but you have a nightmare collection in there.
I've kept Cichlids for most of my adult life. If I rank general aggression from worst to least, I would start at the top with Lake Victoria Cichlids
A notch down, Lake Malawi
Then Tanganyika
West Africa - larger Cichlids,
Central and North America
Central African
Asian
larger South American
smaller South American
smaller West African

So if we apply that to the fish you bought: the zebra obliquidens is a Victorian. 10 points aggro. Jack Dempseys are central American, and named after a famous boxer (a clue there, give them a 7). Convicts are also central American, and named "convicts", not just for their stripes (make it a 6). And a severum is a relatively mild mannered larger South American (a 2 or 3). It's doomed in there, and would be doomed with a pristine, cycled tank.

You need to decide what level of aggression you can handle, and stick to Cichlids from one region. You do seem drawn to Central and North America there.

Btw - when a Cichlid goes to the top corner, it means it knows it has to escape or die, and it has nowhere to go. When they try to hide by the heater, they are terrified.
My local fish store who is reliable sold me these fish together (excluding the African) and said they would be fine together. I really like the severum and don’t have another tank(except a29 gallon) so I guess I’ll have to put him there until he grows or just give him back. Sad but must be done.

Most reactions

trending

Back