Help my fish is sick!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

You need to get the water tested. It is an essential part of cycling otherwise you will not have a clue how far along the process you are or whether the aquarium is actually ready for fish. Fishkeeping cannot be done on guesswork alone (I wish it was)

Can you get the water tested today please and post the results in numbers on this thread, then we can guide you on the next step to take....fish get ill if in an unsuitable aquarium water chemistry, you stated you have illness...so knowing the water chemistry is the first and most important step
Okay phosphate is <1
Gh 0
No3. 0
No2. 0
Cl2. .8
KH. 80
Ph 7.2ish
D0579607-EBD6-496C-AB48-C30627D5FEB9.jpeg

My local fish store who is reliable sold me these fish together (excluding the African) and said they would be fine together. I really like the severum and donā€™t have another tank(except a29 gallon) so I guess Iā€™ll have to put him there until he grows or just give him back. Sad but must be done.
Your local fish store made a mistake. And if you have no nitrite and no nitrate you probably have ammonia, and a fair amount of it.

Oh what should I do?
Do large water changes daily. do not clean your filter media, reduce feeding, maybe see if the fish store will take the cichlids and any catfish or algae eaters back, they will not survive the nitrite stage of a cycle. The Dempsey, the Convict and the Severum are cichlids. The catfish and pleco also need to go back to an established tank. If they will not take them, those large water changes and adding a 2nd filter, maybe a big air driven sponge filter, and good luck

You should not have Chlorine in your fish tank water. Did you dip the strip in tank water @Jimmy chung ? You need chlorine remover, probably one that breaks chloramine lock. Before you do water changes. You aged the tank 2 weeks and there is still chlorine on that test strip.

You should not have Chlorine in your fish tank water. Did you dip the strip in tank water @Jimmy chung ? You need chlorine remover, probably one that breaks chloramine lock. Before you do water changes. You aged the tank 2 weeks and there is still chlorine on that test strip.
There is no chlorine

you need chlorine remover. I am going to shut the computer down now, let me tag some experienced fishkeepers to maybe help you. @GaryE @Essjay @Byron @Fishmanic

While we are at it, here is a great article: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ I think you are past that point. Get chlorine remover, even if it's at walmart, read directions, do water changes, and call your fish store in the morning and see if they will take the cichlids and catfish back. Good luck

you need chlorine remover. I am going to shut the computer down now, let me tag some experienced fishkeepers to maybe help you. @GaryE @Essjay @Byron @Fishmanic

While we are at it, here is a great article: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ I think you are past that point. Get chlorine remover, even if it's at walmart, read directions, do water changes, and call your fish store in the morning and see if they will take the cichlids and catfish back. Good luck
Iā€™m not sure I understand. I have cycled the tank I think. All the fish are healthy except the severum do to bullying. I donā€™t know how there is no nitrate or nitrite or whatever it is and I only feed once a day. I should have not done cichlids and maybe shouldnā€™t have even got into the hobby. I guess Iā€™ll just have to restart

the nitrogen cycle starts with ammonia, nitrosomonas bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite. You have zero nitrite and your test doesn't detect ammonia. After the ammonia is converted into nitrite, Nitrobacter convert it into nitrate. Maybe everything is ok. It would depend on the type of bacteria you added. If you added heterotrophic bacteria it stops working after it eats up all the ammonia. You need an ammonia test. Or you can just do a lot of water changes or just see how it goes. It's your tank. I'm sorry if I confused you.

You have been a great help! This is very great information and Iā€™m so grateful for the help, really.
the nitrogen cycle starts with ammonia, nitrosomonas bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite. You have zero nitrite and your test doesn't detect ammonia. After the ammonia is converted into nitrite, Nitrobacter convert it into nitrate. Maybe everything is ok. It would depend on the type of bacteria you added. If you added heterotrophic bacteria it stops working after it eats up all the ammonia. You need an ammonia test. Or you can just do a lot of water changes or just see how it goes. It's your tank. I'm sorry if I confused you.

I added new tank bacteria that you add to a new tank. I think itā€™s seachem
the nitrogen cycle starts with ammonia, nitrosomonas bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite. You have zero nitrite and your test doesn't detect ammonia. After the ammonia is converted into nitrite, Nitrobacter convert it into nitrate. Maybe everything is ok. It would depend on the type of bacteria you added. If you added heterotrophic bacteria it stops working after it eats up all the ammonia. You need an ammonia test. Or you can just do a lot of water changes or just see how it goes. It's your tank. I'm sorry if I confused you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back