Help My Daphnia Are Transparent And Not Red!

shahrezsyed

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
lahore,punjab,pakistan
hello!
i have a daphnia culture started and feed them yeast. they are not dying but unlike all the daphnia cultures i,ve seen before, they are fully transparent except red. is this normal or abnormal??
shahrez
 
Could be just a different species of daphnia, or some similar copepod.
 
If you are feeding them pure yeast, try adding in some spirulina flake food ground up to a powder and some soybean flour. I tried to keep mine with about equal amounts of all 3 foods and had good looking daphnia. I ended up killing them trying to add green water into the mix and not making sure the fertilizers had all been used up growing the green water first.
 
I also read that it's due to the oxygen level in the water. They appear more red in less oxygenated water because they tend to develop more hemoglobin to increase their oxygen uptake from the water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top