Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aeneus lay huge masses of eggs. Mine consistently lay 150-250 when they spawn, from a single female and will lay in huge clusters.

Not as many tend to be fertile though. In 24 hours after being laid, fertile ones turn darker tan and infertile turn bright white.

237, I think.

Pics uncoming, not sure if these eggs are any good though
Help me too ! It must be the cold nights !!just had my first fry 2weeks ago now just after finding these . I only have one tank and 1 breeder net with 22 guppy fry in it . What should I do? Should I try an move eggs in with guppy fry or do I have to leave them there for a while ? Or what happens if I leave them there ?

Attachments

• 20201010_185806.jpg
    20201010_185806.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 92
  • 20201010_185747.jpg
    20201010_185747.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201010_185730.jpg
    20201010_185730.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20201010_185723.jpg
    20201010_185723.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 98
My Heath Robinson egg containers, used an algae magnet to hold the plastic tubs still and low down inside the breeder net
DSCF4046.JPG

DSCF4044.JPG

Couple of dog hairs went in, sorry about that, don't judge me :lol:

DSCF4040.JPG

@NCaquatics could some of these have been laid before last night? I couldn't see the ones on the back wall or behind the sponge filter until I was hunting for them, wouldn't have looked until seeing the ones on the front today, might not even have noticed during the previous days water change since the plant/sponge filter was hiding them. Those were at least lower down so shouldn't have gone out of water. But they look darker than the front ones did, and didn't stick to my finger as easily either.

I ended up holding a fine net below the batch as I was rolling them off, and caught a few that would have fallen doing that.
DSCF4039.JPG
DSCF4037.JPG
DSCF4036.JPG
DSCF4035.JPG
DSCF4033.JPG
DSCF4029.JPG

A few fell into the outer margarine tub, don't really know how to rescue those, hopefully they'll be okay in there, at least for now.
Added the rubbish airstone that only releases a few tiny bubbles, better that than nothing, but also hoping that the pot being below the waterline will help too since the sponge filter provides a lot of surface disturbance.
Are these infertile though? Too early to tell?

Help me too ! It must be the cold nights !!just had my first fry 2weeks ago now just after finding these . I only have one tank and 1 breeder net with 22 guppy fry in it . What should I do? Should I try an move eggs in with guppy fry or do I have to leave them there for a while ? Or what happens if I leave them there ?
Guppy fry may be large enough to eat the cory fry so don't place them together.

Instead get a small container, place water from the parent tank in it, roll the eggs off the glass with your finger and place them into the container.
Add an airstone.
Add a few drops of meth blue or an alder cone to limit fungus growth on the eggs. Remove any eggs that fungus.
Once they hatch, change the water every day with the water from the parent tank.
After 3 days feed them baby brine shrimp, Hikari First Bites, microworms, egg yolk, etc a few times a day.
At 7 days old add sand to their container.

To early to tell for sure, but the less sticky ones are probably the first ones laid.

Any that fell, they will more likely end up food. Can't save them all, I miss some too.

To early to tell for sure, but the less sticky ones are probably the first ones laid.

Any that fell, they will more likely end up food. Can't save them all, I miss some too.
I feel bad for the few I dropped, but did the best I could. At least I figured out the net solution pretty quickly after that :D

I don't have any MB or alder cones, I do have half decayed almond leaves in the parent tank, and some unused bits of almond leaf in the cupboard. Have eSHa 2000 antibacterial and anti-fungal med though...

Guppy fry may be large enough to eat the cory fry so don't place them together.

Instead get a small container, place water from the parent tank in it, roll the eggs off the glass with your finger and place them into the container.
Add an airstone.
Add a few drops of meth blue or an alder cone to limit fungus growth on the eggs. Remove any eggs that fungus.
Once they hatch, change the water every day with the water from the parent tank.
After 3 days feed them baby brine shrimp, Hikari First Bites, microworms, egg yolk, etc a few times a day.
At 7 days old add sand to their container.
Are they ready to be moved straight away ? I dont have an air stone or meth blue or any of that stuff . Is they anything else I can do within my main tank ?

How on earth do you separate out the ones that fungus? Is the fungus really obvious? They're so tiny and hard to move, feel like I'll need to use the aquascaping tweezers or something, but don't want to accidentally squish any.

I expect if there are any eggs that develop fungus, that will be in a few days time, and after the point where you'll find which have turned beige or white. So, you may have less to work with by that point? If they all turn beige then.. goodness knows!?

Are they ready to be moved straight away ? I dont have an air stone or meth blue or any of that stuff . Is they anything else I can do within my main tank ?
Do you have Indian almond leaves? Or even oak or beech leaves from outside (dried and brown)
And you can move them as soon as theyre laid

How on earth do you separate out the ones that fungus? Is the fungus really obvious? They're so tiny and hard to move, feel like I'll need to use the aquascaping tweezers or something, but don't want to accidentally squish any.
Use a pipette or syringe to remove fungused ones.

I use my phone light to view the eggs, any fuzz on them and I remove them.

Any in clumps with other eggs have to be gently removed by hand.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Going to rig it so the eggs are inside the margarine tub, which will be inside the mesh breeder box. The holes in the mesh are too large, my guppy fry were escaping from it when they were newborn, so definitely too large for cory fry. But they're big enough now that the mesh will keep them and the adult cories out, while the marg tub is low enough in the water that the sponge filter should keep it oygenated, I hope.

I wasn't at all prepared for this, love! They completely took me by surprise.
I always add just a few drops of methylene blue to prevent fungus in eggs. :)

I always add just a few drops of methylene blue to prevent fungus in eggs. :)
I don't have any MB :( Fish store won't be open til Tuesday, and Prime deliveries won't arrive til Tuesday either, I've added some Indian almond leaf for now

That’s why I use the MB. So they don’t fungus. Lol!

I've never added MB or had fungus but i could just be lucky up to now. But then I'm not dealing with hundreds of eggs either!

I ordered some microworms too, heard they make good fry food, and had thought they seemed like an easy-ish culture to begin with, plus the other fish would enjoy them too, if these eggs don't hatch. Should have enough Hikari First Bites for now.

I keep wanting to go look at the eggs, not sure why, not like anything will have changed in the half hour since I last looked at them!

Most reactions

trending

Back