Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You could also feed them the frozen cyclops too once they're a week old!

First bites will be fine to start, feed after day 3.

After 7 days old add a thin layer of sand from the parent tank.

Check several times a day for now to make sure there's no fungused eggs

You could also feed them the frozen cyclops too once they're a week old!

First bites will be fine to start, feed after day 3.

After 7 days old add a thin layer of sand from the parent tank.

Check several times a day for now to make sure there's no fungused eggs
I have a problem... have two airpumps right now, same All Ponds Solution brand. One is running the sponge filter on the 12 gallon cory/guppy fry/cory egg tank, the other was running a single sponge on the guppy/shrimp tank. Neither pump will run two things at once despite having two outlets and air control values.

I stole the one from the single sponge filter on the guppy/shrimp tank since they still have a canister filter, but it won't run an airstone! Only a tiny stream of bubbles coming from it, even with both outlets connected via t-valve. Will run a sponge filter, but not an airstone? Tried a few different airstones too!

Have ordered another air pump/kit (Nicrew one with good ratings) but even with Prime, not due to arrive until Tuesday.

Haven't touched the eggs yet. I've cleaned out a margarine tub, and a smaller round put that had cottage cheese in it, could I rig those inside a mesh breeder box (to keep cories/guppy fry out) near the top of the tank so the current sponge filter keeps it oxygenated? Just until new airpump arrives?

I have to move the eggs, the tank is due a water change, substrate needs a clean, and the eggs are so high up the tank walls that lowering the water level at all would have them out of water.

Panicking even more now!

Well, first off, hopefully you’ve calmed down and had a nice cup of tea :lol:

Hope these eggs will hatch and you’ll have your first Cory fry :wub:

Exciting times!

I’ve never bred any fish be it livebearers or egg layers so will be of zero help in that respect but I’ll be here and will be around for moral support though as this will be good to learn from should I ever feel I want to breed anything, am watching deanasue’s thread about breeding as well so it’s all good learning.;)

Id place the eggs in the breeder mesh setup in the tank make sure any holes in the mesh are too small to squeeze through (less than 1mm)

Id place the eggs in the breeder mesh setup in the tank make sure any holes in the mesh are too small to squeeze through (less than 1mm)
Thank you thank you thank you!

Going to rig it so the eggs are inside the margarine tub, which will be inside the mesh breeder box. The holes in the mesh are too large, my guppy fry were escaping from it when they were newborn, so definitely too large for cory fry. But they're big enough now that the mesh will keep them and the adult cories out, while the marg tub is low enough in the water that the sponge filter should keep it oygenated, I hope.

I wasn't at all prepared for this, love! They completely took me by surprise.

Unless... I have two nets. I could place both nets over it, hope that would make it dense enough

Sometimes the unexpected surprises are the best ones! ;)
Hopefully! They've had me all stressed today, but I am still pleased!

Wish I'd been better prepared, but hopefully I can figure this out and they make it. If not though, they've spawned once, so they can spawn again!

Should have seen my face when I saw the eggs. "Gobsmacked" is the only word for it!

It still is a pleasant surprise for me when I see eggs from the cories, though I raise a brow at them because its nonstop lol

But hey, never too many cories!

It still is a pleasant surprise for me when I see eggs from the cories, though I raise a brow at them because its nonstop lol

But hey, never too many cories!
101 eggs and counting... needed to pause, found a big bunch on the back wall, then tilted sponge filter forward and there are two more bunches behind there!

How do I avoid dropping them?? I've been rolling them off carefully with my finger and most stick to my finger, but some fell to the sand and I doubt I'll be able to see them, let alone save them :(

101 eggs and counting... needed to pause, found a big bunch on the back wall, then tilted sponge filter forward and there are two more bunches behind there!

How do I avoid dropping them?? I've been rolling them off carefully with my finger and most stick to my finger, but some fell to the sand and I doubt I'll be able to see them, let alone save them :(
People say they have scraped them up the wall with a credit card...might be less likely to lose them? Never had any experience though, sorry.
Congratulations and good luck!

My peppereds don't lay that many, the biggest clump I've found is 4 eggs, but they're consistently at it 24/7. Theres 5 eggs in the tank now but got to the point where I've started to leave them haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back