Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They are roughly three weeks old now. We had seven by the end of their first week after hatching, and then last week, it was down to five. This week, the population dropped to three, and then I found one DOA last night. We've been feeding them baby brine shrimp and Tetra fry food, at first twice per day, but three times per day at the start of this week. They've been getting daily water changes, using water from an established tanks.

OH thinks there are issues with the tank because there aren't enough fish in it to maintain beneficial bacteria. But right now, none of our display tanks are an ideal alternative. One has the raphaels, another has an adult Bolivian ram, one has apistogramma borellii, and the fourth has f**ck tons of current and lots of other bottom feeding fish. Been discussing whether or not the apistos would try to eat them.

They are roughly three weeks old now. We had seven by the end of their first week after hatching, and then last week, it was down to five. This week, the population dropped to three, and then I found one DOA last night. We've been feeding them baby brine shrimp and Tetra fry food, at first twice per day, but three times per day at the start of this week. They've been getting daily water changes, using water from an established tanks.

OH thinks there are issues with the tank because there aren't enough fish in it to maintain beneficial bacteria. But right now, none of our display tanks are an ideal alternative. One has the raphaels, another has an adult Bolivian ram, one has apistogramma borellii, and the fourth has f**ck tons of current and lots of other bottom feeding fish. Been discussing whether or not the apistos would try to eat them.
I ended using a breeder box/net type thing that I stuck in the parent tank. Its looked a bit of a mess but has done the trick at containing them in an established tank for a month or so

Moving them to an established tank in a breeder net may be helpful.

Have you been taking water from the same tank every time for a water change?

We've been alternating between the 240 and the 125. Is that not a good idea?

We've been alternating between the 240 and the 125. Is that not a good idea?
Stability is important with fry so changing water sources can be stressful on them

There are things in the water we don't test for that would be unique to every tank.

So it would be best to keep it from one tank every time.

If put them in a breeder box, the tank I would use would be neither one of those. What's the best way to make that change?

In a perfect world, I would want to keep them in a grow-out tank until they are raphael-proof, or at least dwarf cichlid-proof. But I don't know how to keep the 10g stable enough to do that. :(

Do you have any ceramic media in any of your filters?

You mean like zeolite?
No like biomax? Or even do you have any sponge?
I'm thinking cut a small piece of the sponge and use it to seed a filter in the fry tank, or take 1-2 piece of media and put it into the fry filter.

I did that when I initially set up the tank, maybe just under a month ago. Would it be worth doing again? The other tanks have all been seeded from one another, so there's a lots of bits and bobs of media rammed into their filters.

I did that when I initially set up the tank, maybe just under a month ago. Would it be worth doing again? The other tanks have all been seeded from one another, so there's a lots of bits and bobs of media rammed into their filters.
Then if its seeded, its fine. There's beneficial bacteria there.

Would those have potentially died off with only a couple tiny fish in the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back