Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Well, I culled a LOT of my eggs tonight. When I went to check them one last time, I found quite a few with white spots in them. This had happened in last few hours. I had opted not to add anymore MB after water change today so that may have done it. Like Adorabella said, they can fungus fast. So my fear was what I might find in the morning. So I took out all of the ones that had any white on them. I saw one fry try his hardest to get out of his egg. He tried 3 times but never moved again. Broke my heart. I hope he figures it out tonight. I did get to see one egg move, then go up and a wriggler popped right out. He swam to the side. That was cool! Hoping for more in morning.

Wonder what causes the fungus? Think it could be down to water flow/aeration? As bronze lay in bigger clumps maybe their eggs are more prone to suffering from poor circulation and so get fungus? As with my peppereds, I'm only getting 3-4 eggs at a time, all laid solitary.
Either I've been really lucky to not have fungussed eggs yet, or theres something to it like water flow?

Will try to get an updated photo when I can, but I'm convinced my cory fry have grown already. First ones started hatching five days ago, so some are five days old, some four days old. But I can see them much more easily than I could before, I'm sure they've grown a little even in that short a time.

Wonder what causes the fungus? Think it could be down to water flow/aeration? As bronze lay in bigger clumps maybe their eggs are more prone to suffering from poor circulation and so get fungus? As with my peppereds, I'm only getting 3-4 eggs at a time, all laid solitary.
Either I've been really lucky to not have fungussed eggs yet, or theres something to it like water flow?
I think it’s water flow. Mine were all doing fine until day 3. I then cut off my MB because I knew fry were coming soon. I have cleaned the bottom the best I can but still have some sand granulated in there. Think it comes out of sponge filter. It seems to collect debris that doesn’t help. I syphon did it yesterday but you can’t tell today. I never used sponge filters with my goldfish fry, just hob’s with hose on intake. I think they cleaned better but who knows. Mine are in a 10G tank. Edit: I do agree that the clumps if eggs seem to have more of a problem. My goldies laid individual eggs and never had fungus issues. Oh well, first time. Lots to learn and take note of. :)

I think it’s water flow. Mine were all doing fine until day 3. I then cut off my MB because I knew fry were coming soon. I have cleaned the bottom the best I can but still have some sand granulated in there. Think it comes out of sponge filter. It seems to collect debris that doesn’t help. I syphon did it yesterday but you can’t tell today. I never used sponge filters with my goldfish fry, just hob’s with hose on intake. I think they cleaned better but who knows. Mine are in a 10G tank. Edit: I do agree that the clumps if eggs seem to have more of a problem. My goldies laid individual eggs and never had fungus issues. Oh well, first time. Lots to learn and take note of. :)
You know, I used the wrong term. They were infertile, not fungused. They turned white but had no fuzz in them. Although infertile eggs can become fungused if left to lay and rot. :)

A pic of a new wriggler.
9886AC9F-80D7-442A-8469-59177D2D0D37.jpeg

I’m so sorry! That’s my biggest fear now. I only seem to have about 10 so far. I thought I’d have a lot more by now. Water tests fine but I don’t know. How many do you have? Again, sorry for your loss. We’re doing the best we can. :)
I think I counted 12 after removing the poor little dead one, so I really don't know! Not good at doing a head count, lol.

I tell myself I'll be happy if any of them make it to adulthood, but it still hurts to lose one. I've lost three total since they hatched.

@NCaquatics did warn me that it's common to have some losses. Like @EllRog said, they have a lot of developing to do, and if something isn't developing properly, there's nothing we can do about that. I'm feeding, keeping water clean, keeping their container clean, there isn't any more I can do than that and hope that some of the little guys make it. It's cute to see them wriggle around sometimes, and occasionally one will be swimming up the side of the net near the surface. They're so adorable! I really want them all to survive and to keep them all, even if it means I upgrade to a bigger tank sooner than I expected. But we'll see how they do as they grow, how many make it.

I think I counted 12 after removing the poor little dead one, so I really don't know! Not good at doing a head count, lol.

I tell myself I'll be happy if any of them make it to adulthood, but it still hurts to lose one. I've lost three total since they hatched.
I agree. Goldfish seemed so much easier but I guess It was just automatic with me. These cories are so stinking cute! I’m surprised I only have about a dozen so far. I’ll be happy with Just a few healthy ones. Mine are so light compared to mbsq1d’s. I think may be albinos.

My microworm colony has grown! They were climbing the sides of the tub, so after cleaning the cory box today, I fed them some microworms. Have seen people when I googled saying they feed their cory fry microworms right after they've finished the egg yolk, so think they should be big enough now to manage them. Some of them were wriggling around like they were eating, so fingers crossed they enjoy those!

Love the place I ordered from on Amazon. They included a page giving instructions about how to culture microworms, and at the end it says that once they're climbing the sides, you can swipe them off the sides with your finger and feed them straight like that. But it also says "if you're a weenie, you can use a small rubber spatula instead of your finger" :lol:

I'm not a weenie! And I don't have a small rubber spatula, so fed them from my finger and scrubbed my hands afterwards. The worms being cultured in oatmeal, and the smell despite trying not to breathe it in, is definitely putting me off porridge though...

Most reactions

Back