Help! My Clownfish Are Attacking Eachother

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clownfish11790

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 clarkii clownfish in a 20 gallon long tank... they are the same size... i introduced them at the same time. i have one anemone, one clown loves it and protects it from the other fish. the other clown hides in the corner and the one clown on the anemone will not stop attacking the clown in the corner please help!!!

Sorry..but..IMO..you should return the fearful clown. In general, in a nano tank. adding two of the same species is NOT a good idea unless you know they are paired mates. With percs, they should be introduced together and both of very small size or one VERY small compared to the other. Members of the same species, crowded into a nano, will harasse each other and sometimes fight to the demise of the other. SH

Clakii clowns ( I do seem to recall ) need a bigger tank than a 20 gallon. However; the behavior you see could be the dominancy dance in play. When clowns are in the process of pairing off one will be in control, and the other will "retreat" from food, home, etc to show that it knows the other one is in control. this is part of the normal struggle clowns go through to pair off and decide who is going to be who. For future purhcases to cut down the on the lengh and sometimes intensity of the struggle, buy one significantly bigger than the other. That tends to make it easier.

HI there

Can you tell me : -

Is this your 1st Marine Tank
How long has it been up & running

Chac

This is my first marine tank its been up for about 2 months. I added Bio-Spira so it cycled very quickly.I would upload a pic, but my computer is too slow. I've been doing FW aquariums for about 7 years though. I called a local fish store and they helped me out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back