Help! My Aquis 1000 Canister Filter Is Leaking!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jellybean1311

Reaction score
Hey!

Wondering if anyone can help, I cleaned my tank out as usual last night came down this morning with water on the floor!

I have checked to make sure it's not the taps etc it seems to be the actual filter.
It seems to be filling up with water in the gap where the electric cable come out from / where you can pick it up. It won't let me attach a pic as says it too big :0(

It's pretty close to Xmas now an can't afford to buy a new one so if anyone can help I'd be grateful

Thanks xxx

Hey!

Wondering if anyone can help, I cleaned my tank out as usual last night came down this morning with water on the floor!

I have checked to make sure it's not the taps etc it seems to be the actual filter.
It seems to be filling up with water in the gap where the electric cable come out from / where you can pick it up. It won't let me attach a pic as says it too big :0(

It's pretty close to Xmas now an can't afford to buy a new one so if anyone can help I'd be grateful

Thanks xxx

Sounds like the filter seal on the canister has gone and may need a replacement.

That happened to me when I had an external, the seal was at fault, also once I put the top back on wrong and didn't have the gap in line with the electric cable, worth a check.

Thank you so much for the replies!

I have checked that it is all in properly was the first thing I done :0)

Where can I get a filter seal from? Is it easy to fit??

Thank you again xxx

Hello,

I've got a couple of the earlier versions of this filter. One tip: Rub a thin film of food grade silicon grease onto the seal.
I use this stuff on all of my filters. It really does help (prolongs the seal life and stops dribbles).

Ebay is your friend. I use this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HT-Silicone-Grease-Tub-60ml-Pot-Food-Industry-Approved-/261082608825?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3cc9bc74b9

As this is an emergency, try your local car care, DIY or plumbing supplies place. I've seen food grade grease in one of my local plumbing shops.. A car care place or DIY store will probably only have the "normal" stuff.. probably perfectly O.K. but I'd only use it when in a jam. If you do mange to only get the normal stuff, then just replace it with food grade grease when you can get some.

Hope this helps.

Bodge99

Hello (again).

I've just re-read the original post and I now see exactly what Jellybean1311 means.
If your leak is indeed coming from where the cable exits (as you say, inside the recessed "handle" space) then you have a minor problem that is nothing to do with main canister seal.

Assuming that you do not have a leaking valve (the ones fitted are really poor quality, IMHO) or its not something simple where the whole pump housing was immersed in water (Don't **ever** do this!) then you appear to have a flaw (moulding fault or crack) in the pump housing. I've had a similar fault with one of mine..

You need to disconnect and remove the top, now remove the 4 screws to enable you to separate the two halves.
If there is a leak, then you will probably be able to see where it is coming from.
Dry the lid parts properly (paper towel & hairdryer work well). Clean & roughen the area and use something like araldite to cover the flaw. Ensure that the adhesive is properly set before you reassemble everything.

Let us know how you get on.

Bodge99

ANY idea why mine is leaking? Mine isn't leaking in the same place. It is leaking next the 'Out' sign. It is not leaking because the tubes aren't connected correctly. It is leaking where the plastic connector actually goes into the pump. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Cheers,
Sanderson

Most reactions

Back