June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've finally decided to re-home the last of my Ricefish from my 8 gallon shallow tank, took them to a shop this afternoon. So the project starts to restock it!

The tank is an ADA 60F which is 30 litres or a bit over 8 gallons. The filter is an Oase Filtosmart 100 Thermo and it is heavily planted with lots of emmergent growth of stem plants and terrestrial plants like Monstera and Pothos.

My water is hard at about 14Gh and a ph around 7.4. It is currently home to a colony of low grade Cherry Shrimp and some brown Ramshorn Snails that I feed to my puffers (in the other tank).

I have a couple of ideas but what would you choose to do?

Wills

Is the GH in dH or ppm? And the tank dimensions?

Think top choice nano fish for me would be Celestichthys margaritatus😍
They are on my list, along with Emerald Rasboras... I went to an LFS today and saw some Emerald Rasboras and they also had some Dwarf Red Rasboras (microrasbora rubescens) which is from the same lake as Emerald Rasboras (Lake Inle).

Not sure how many to get of each though - both species are under an inch, the emeralds are particularly tiny. Doing this also makes me want to keep an eye out for Rummy Nose Rasobras too as they are the ultimate Lake Inle schooler... But 3 species is probably pushing it in an 8 gallon.

@Byron you're really good at judging school size vs bioload, which route would you go?

Wills

I would consider 10 of each species you get as minimum. Just two species, though with reservations--see the following citations are from my profile of Sawbwa resplendens.

Origin and Habitat: Endemic to Inle Lake and surrounding watershed, Myanmar, SE Asia. Occurs in slow-flowing streams and pools among submerged vegetation and along the shoreline of Inle Lake among thick vegetation. Found in large numbers throughout the lake.

Compatibility/Temperament: A shoaling fish requiring a group of 10 or preferably more, with a distinct "pecking order" among males; having more females than males works to contain the aggression, and sources suggest 3-4 females per male. Peaceful with other small fish than require similar water parameters and aquascape, such as Danio erythromicron in sufficient space.​
Water parameters Medium hard (12 - 20 dGH), slightly basic (pH 7-8), temperature 20-24C/68-75F. Some sources report this species may manage in slightly acidic water, but will be healthier and better in basic. At higher temperatures the species is more prone to disease.​

And for Danio erythromicron:

Origin and Habitat: SE Asia: Lake Inle basin in Shan state, eastern Myanmar. Inhabits the weedy shallows at the edges of the lake, among thick vegetation.

Compatibility/Temperament: Peaceful and shy; males are territorial and will nip each other's fins; must be in a group of at least ten, but in a well-planted 15 or 20 gallon tank a larger group (15-20) may reduce this somewhat. Best suited to a species tank; may manage in a community of similar small, non-aggressive fishes that will not out-compete them for food and that share the cooler temperature and slightly basic water.​
Water parameters Slightly soft to medium hard (hardness 10-20 dGH), slightly basic (pH 7-7.6), temperature 20-24C/68-75F. These ranges replicate the habitat, and available fish will be wild-caught. This is one rasbora that does not fare well in acidic water.​

If you go with celestichthys margaritatus definitely not less than 10, you will never see them. 20 would probably work, or if you want variety you could add 10 c.erythromicron. Be aware that neither of these will go to the surface for food ever. I also know several people who keep them with microdevario kubotai - their behaviour is quite different but it seems to work as a combination. Hyphessobrycon amandae may be a good choice if you want something a bit more active than the CPD, but in that case I would stick to the one species.

I would consider 10 of each species you get as minimum. Just two species, though with reservations--see the following citations are from my profile of Sawbwa resplendens.

Origin and Habitat: Endemic to Inle Lake and surrounding watershed, Myanmar, SE Asia. Occurs in slow-flowing streams and pools among submerged vegetation and along the shoreline of Inle Lake among thick vegetation. Found in large numbers throughout the lake.​
Compatibility/Temperament: A shoaling fish requiring a group of 10 or preferably more, with a distinct "pecking order" among males; having more females than males works to contain the aggression, and sources suggest 3-4 females per male. Peaceful with other small fish than require similar water parameters and aquascape, such as Danio erythromicron in sufficient space.​
Water parameters Medium hard (12 - 20 dGH), slightly basic (pH 7-8), temperature 20-24C/68-75F. Some sources report this species may manage in slightly acidic water, but will be healthier and better in basic. At higher temperatures the species is more prone to disease.​

And for Danio erythromicron:

Origin and Habitat: SE Asia: Lake Inle basin in Shan state, eastern Myanmar. Inhabits the weedy shallows at the edges of the lake, among thick vegetation.​
Compatibility/Temperament: Peaceful and shy; males are territorial and will nip each other's fins; must be in a group of at least ten, but in a well-planted 15 or 20 gallon tank a larger group (15-20) may reduce this somewhat. Best suited to a species tank; may manage in a community of similar small, non-aggressive fishes that will not out-compete them for food and that share the cooler temperature and slightly basic water.​
Water parameters Slightly soft to medium hard (hardness 10-20 dGH), slightly basic (pH 7-7.6), temperature 20-24C/68-75F. These ranges replicate the habitat, and available fish will be wild-caught. This is one rasbora that does not fare well in acidic water.​

Thanks Byron, this is excellent just what I wanted. An other species I've been considering is a trio of Black Tiger Dario, from similar regions of Burma as the other fish (though not Lake Inle) a lot of the profiles say high ph but not so hard water but I've never heard of this kind of water? And it feels likely they must interact with harder water at some point given how close they are geographically.

If you go with celestichthys margaritatus definitely not less than 10, you will never see them. 20 would probably work, or if you want variety you could add 10 c.erythromicron. Be aware that neither of these will go to the surface for food ever. I also know several people who keep them with microdevario kubotai - their behaviour is quite different but it seems to work as a combination. Hyphessobrycon amandae may be a good choice if you want something a bit more active than the CPD, but in that case I would stick to the one species.

Thanks will make sure I get good numbers! The tank is pretty dense with plants so lots of hiding space - I have worried that with their reputation I will just never see them...

A pair of Betta Simplex 🙃🤣

Holy moly! This is supper interesting!

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-simplex/

They come from a karstic region and this paragraph is incredible to people like me with hard water...

The type locality consists of a series of deep limestone sinkholes forming pools at the surface, plus a small ditch which acts as an overflow from the pools. The water is very clear and has a distinctive bright blue-green colour due to the high proportion of dissolved calcium carbonate.

And also

Sympatric species in the pool system include Barbodes lateristriga and Trigonostigma espei.

So if they all live in limestone pools, the hardness must be off the scale... surely 54-215ppm in the article is at the low end of what they will experience in the wild? Part of the reason my tapwater is so hard is because of the limestone in the ground nearby. The presence of Espei Rasboras here is very interesting too... even in the seriously fish profile it says they live in these karstic pools, but also should live in softwater - surely both things can not be true?

An interesting combination for a small tank too, Betta Pugnax with a school of Espeis.

I actually remember seeing what I think were Betta Pugnax in now closed but excellent LFS possibly 10 years ago and I was really taken with them in the store but decided against them but definitely remember them.

You know my argument would be for psuedos of some kind, since we have similar water, they're small, and I'm biased since I have some!
But I'm not sure whether they'd work with the size of the tank, nor if they'd be interesting enough to you, they're pretty similar to rice fish from what I hear, while you like stuff that's a bit more unusual.

Holy moly! This is supper interesting!

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-simplex/

They come from a karstic region and this paragraph is incredible to people like me with hard water...

The type locality consists of a series of deep limestone sinkholes forming pools at the surface, plus a small ditch which acts as an overflow from the pools. The water is very clear and has a distinctive bright blue-green colour due to the high proportion of dissolved calcium carbonate.

And also

Sympatric species in the pool system include Barbodes lateristriga and Trigonostigma espei.

So if they all live in limestone pools, the hardness must be off the scale... surely 54-215ppm in the article is at the low end of what they will experience in the wild? Part of the reason my tapwater is so hard is because of the limestone in the ground nearby. The presence of Espei Rasboras here is very interesting too... even in the seriously fish profile it says they live in these karstic pools, but also should live in softwater - surely both things can not be true?
They're super cool for sure. Other than the seriously fish profile, there is some info on ''journey to the water'' (search it on FB), and here's also a vid that is really interesting
. Other than that I can't really help I'm afraid, since it's pretty obvious you've got a lot more knowledge than me. :)

You know my argument would be for psuedos of some kind, since we have similar water, they're small, and I'm biased since I have some!
But I'm not sure whether they'd work with the size of the tank, nor if they'd be interesting enough to you, they're pretty similar to rice fish from what I hear, while you like stuff that's a bit more unusual.

I do like Psudeos :) just never see them near me. I'm starting to think I might not want a schooling species too... but not 100% the tank is super dense at the moment and I dont think I can trim easily past where I am without killing off some of the plants.

They're super cool for sure. Other than the seriously fish profile, there is some info on ''journey to the water'' (search it on FB), and here's also a vid that is really interesting
. Other than that I can't really help I'm afraid, since it's pretty obvious you've got a lot more knowledge than me. :)

This is awesome! Love habitat videos will check them out.

And I'm not sure any of us are more knowledgable than each other we all have out own little pockets - I'd never have found Betta Simplex without your recommendation so please keep it coming :)

Oh man this video is epic! Really really surprised to see Trichropsis Pumila in there as well - AKA Sparkling Gourami...

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

@Byron what is your interpretation of finding species that we would otherwise think of as soft water in these limestone pools? I'd probably say I'd have no problem keeping something like Betta Simplex in a hard water set-up as its unique to this habitat but what does it mean for Espi Rasboras and Sparkling Gourami - we can see here they live in these habitats but is it reasonable to keep store-bought/raised specimens in the same way? Or do they fit in a grey area between something like a Emerald Rasbora which will obviously be best in hard water and something like a Cardinal Tetra which will obviously be best in soft water? I'm not sold on them for this tank as yet but find it really interesting they are options for other projects for me or for recommending to other members here that live in hard water areas?

Also does anyone know what the blue test reader is displaying at 6:22 is it TDS or dGH?

Wills

Oh man this video is epic! Really really surprised to see Trichropsis Pumila in there as well - AKA Sparkling Gourami...

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

@Byron what is your interpretation of finding species that we would otherwise think of as soft water in these limestone pools? I'd probably say I'd have no problem keeping something like Betta Simplex in a hard water set-up as its unique to this habitat but what does it mean for Espi Rasboras and Sparkling Gourami - we can see here they live in these habitats but is it reasonable to keep store-bought/raised specimens in the same way? Or do they fit in a grey area between something like a Emerald Rasbora which will obviously be best in hard water and something like a Cardinal Tetra which will obviously be best in soft water? I'm not sold on them for this tank as yet but find it really interesting they are options for other projects for me or for recommending to other members here that live in hard water areas?

Also does anyone know what the blue test reader is displaying at 6:22 is it TDS or dGH?

Wills
One of my usual suppliers has Sparkling Gourami in stock (their website is tempermental but it gets there eventually)

They carry quite alot of stock that is not usually found with other suppliers (think...kid in sweetshop when looking through all the types/species they have currently)

I have bought fish from them several times over the years without any health issues. Delivery is by DX and its next day as normal. I recommend them (not that my opinion counts for much, but I have never experienced any issues)

Most reactions

Back